Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-17-2023, 12:40 PM   #2751
David Johnston2

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

There's a recent lawsuit that says a man froze to death in an Alabama jail. While the real reason for such an odd death in custody is obvious; in a game setting? Snow maiden. Definitely snow maiden.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 02-17-2023 at 02:49 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #2752
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There's a recent lawsuit that says a man froze to death in an Alabama jail. While the real reason for such an odd death in custody is obvious in a game setting? Snow maiden. Definitely snow maiden.
Gotta be careful about those conjugal visits.

More than a bit outdated, but I just recently learned of an interesting fellow by the name of Dashrath Manjhi. In 1959, Mr. Manjhi's wife died after an accident, in large part because the nearest hospital was around 70 km away - at least, that's the distance when one has to go around the Rajgir Hills (which are basically small mountains). Mr. Manjhi decided to change this, and over the course of the next 22 years, was a one-man road-clearing crew, digging his way through the Rajgir Hills to create a path through them, markedly reducing the distance to medical care for his village.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:58 PM   #2753
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

8 marines defeated an AI sentry bot by umm...
  • Hiding under a cardboard box and moving forward
  • Sumersaulting 300 meters forward
  • picking up a fir tree to put in front of them
Apparently the marines could not perform this task without "giggling". Remember this for the robot apocalypse folks!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #2754
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Apparently the marines could not perform this task without "giggling". Remember this for the robot apocalypse folks!
If the marines who used the cardboard box didn't write "The Orange" on the side, I will be very disappointed.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:19 PM   #2755
The Colonel

Quote:
...if it worked on Macbeth, why not on a sentry gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
This is what happens when you let your player take their character's pet dog as a full Ally based on 25% of their points, rather than just using the Pet perk.
Depending on your preferred fiction, that has shades of Mouse ... or "and my brother works as a sheepdog in Borogrovia"

Last edited by The Colonel; 02-23-2023 at 04:26 PM.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #2756
Anaraxes

An approximately 1.5m diameter ball of unknown origin washed up on a Japanese beach. It's apparently made of metal "like" iron, and too heavy to move by hand. The object was cordoned off by local police, at least until they had established that it didn't seem to an explosive hazard. X-ray examination suggested the sphere was hollow.

If Gilligan had found it, it'd have been a leftover mine from WW II. But it's not. Kaiju egg? Lemurian time capsule? Dragon Ball Y prototype? Discarded reentry shield for an alien probe? Only you can decide for your game.

(Link in Japanese; Google Translate can render it at least well enough. And if your table doesn't happen to speak Japanese, you might even be able to use the news video as a prop to introduce the event to your team.)
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/shizuok...030019334.html
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:12 AM   #2757
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Company Celestis offers the service of "Storing your DNA in deep Space". They plan to send a ... satellite? spacecraft? capsule? called "Enterprise Flight" into an orbit at about the same range as mars and the asteroid belt. They are sending the DNA of four US presidents (Reagan, JFK, Einenhower, and Washington) with the capsule, as well as a good portion of samples from the original startrek.

I'm just imagining a community made of clones from this list. Can you imagine a star-trek like crews reaction on entering a space station with clones of all those people on it?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #2758
Anaraxes

Quote:
four US presidents (Reagan, JFK, Einenhower, and Washington)... Can you imagine a star-trek like crews reaction on entering a space station with clones of all those people on it?
No, can't really picture that. If only they'd included Lincoln, then you'd be on to something.

(Plus one additional invented name said to be from the 22nd century to make it properly SFnal.)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #2759
Polydamas

Quote:
The Company Celestis offers the service of "Storing your DNA in deep Space". They plan to send a ... satellite? spacecraft? capsule? called "Enterprise Flight" into an orbit at about the same range as mars and the asteroid belt. They are sending the DNA of four US presidents (Reagan, JFK, Eisenhower, and Washington) with the capsule, as well as a good portion of samples from the original startrek.
Lots of cosmic rays in interplanetary space. The potential for mutant and/or super Reagan, JFK, Eisenhower, and Washington I leave as an exercise for the reader.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #2760
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
The potential for mutant and/or super Reagan, JFK, Eisenhower, and Washington I leave as an exercise for the reader.
See the artist SharpWriter on Deviantart for some visuals. (Frex, Franklin, Reagan, JFK, Washington, Jackson, Lincoln)

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox