Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #101
Kalzazz

Default Re: British Military Combatives in the Queen's Service

I would suspect there might be boffer groups of some sort running around as well . . . . . there might be some use somewhere to have stuff disguised as a noodle sword
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #102
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Can you point me in the direction of any useful online sources about their activities, interest, principal time periods and membership?
Their main website at www.farisles.org appears to be down. A document library of theirs is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I would suspect there might be boffer groups of some sort running around as well
There are plenty of them in the UK.

Last edited by johndallman; 02-01-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: markup
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #103
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I would suspect there might be boffer groups of some sort running around as well . . . . . there might be some use somewhere to have stuff disguised as a noodle sword
Hmmm... what kind of useful stuff could one conceal in a boffer sword?

The one I have isn't wide enough to serve as a hiding place for anything but a smallsword, even if it was designed as a concealment place from the start. No way could it hide any sword doing sw+1 cut as base damage, be that broadsword, cavalry saber, falchion or anything else. Just isn't broad enough for it.

Is mine abnormally thin?* Is there something else which could be usefully concealed inside a boffer sword?

*That's not what she said.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #104
Kalzazz

Most Amtgard ones are around 2.4in or so diameter for the blade (there supposed to be 2.5, but pool noodle is closer to 2.4), but bigger ones are absolutely possible

Also 'Flatblade' style boffer swords tend to be more properly sword shaped while still being fat with padding . . . you could absolutely disguise an arming sword as an Amtgard flatblade. You would simply build the Amtgard flatblade around the cardboard sleeve that goes over the swords blade

Wrap the grip in vetwrap or grip tape (which also conveniently makes for a good grip) and pad and tape the crossgaurd and stick a foam cover on the pommel

A cloth cover then goes over the 'blade' and ties down onto the handle of the sword (a real Amtgard sword would also have the blade snugly taped in place also, but that is less desired here)

In order to use it you would need to untie the cover (perhaps 2-3 ready actions), and then you would either need to spend another 1-2 actions to pull the flatblade off of the actual sword blade
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #105
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
*That's not what she said.
Sounds more like what he said.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #106
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Their main website at www.farisles.org appears to be down. A document library of theirs is here.
Thank you very much. I'll certainly make use of that.

If nothing else, limited participation in this by young academics of the conspiracy will serve to establish the credibility of the cover organisations used by the Rangers and the Marlowe Fellows. And it will serve to keep tabs on the occult scene, as there is often some overlap in membership betweeen reenaction societies and people who believe in and pursue the supernatural.

Tags
combatives, martial arts, monster hunters, secret magic, shadow court