Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
(E)

Default Re: Stocking your Life Pod

Without going into too much detail (for reasons) food production is also an option depending on a couple of design switches to do with the pod.
Time, energy and space would be issues however.
But fiber and energy rich food could be available within 60 days of landing with other crops sooner. (Faster at higher TLs)
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #22
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's why I posted the Solar Recharger from HT. $100, 2 lbs at TL 8. By TL 9 I expect it's half the weight and charges faster.
Yeah, if the UT solar power sources are "too heavy" then that's an indicator that UT is dated and Real Life (TM) has surpassed it. (Sort of like with 3D printers.)

I sometimes carry an 3.5oz flexible solar cell when hiking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Without going into too much detail (for reasons) food production is also an option depending on a couple of design switches to do with the pod.
Time, energy and space would be issues however.
But fiber and energy rich food could be available within 60 days of landing with other crops sooner. (Faster at higher TLs)
I'd say that when we start bringing up mountaineering gear or crops that we're beyond the realm of "legally sufficient" life-pods and well into the realm of mini-colonization ships. :) Or, at least mini-exploration ships.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
jason taylor

A large database full of reading material. Not just survival guides and local intelligence, but entertainment. One of the chief hazards seems to be boredom.

Which reminds me of something I read once of a Russian story about someone who endured voluntary solitary confinement for twenty years on a bet. And then came out the day before he won the bet to prove he had read so much that he was a true philosopher and scorned money.

A cyanide capsule. Who says you are going to land on a habitable planet or land at all? It might be a handy thing to have. It wouldn't be "kosher" for me but if one is being realistic one must think about it.

Tea leaves. Plus enough seeds to plant. You may have to subsist on boiled water for a long time.

If I am likely to land on a habited planet I would like proof of citizenship in The Federation. As well as money. Definitely proof of citizenship. The possibility of a visit by the Space Marines may be all that prevents being enslaved.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Yeah, if the UT solar power sources are "too heavy" then that's an indicator that UT is dated and Real Life (TM) has surpassed it. (Sort of like with 3D printers.)

I'd say that when we start bringing up mountaineering gear or crops that we're beyond the realm of "legally sufficient" life-pods and well into the realm of mini-colonization ships. :) Or, at least mini-exploration ships.
Surely a few seeds do not take up space. Nor does an ax or entrenching tool.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post

It's been 38 years since I bought a solar-powered calculator at Sears. So that proves that portable solar power is sufficient to all purposes? No, it mostly demonstrates how some devices (like LCD calculators) use very, very low amounts of electric power.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #26
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's been 38 years since I bought a solar-powered calculator at Sears. So that proves that portable solar power is sufficient to all purposes? No, it mostly demonstrates how some devices (like LCD calculators) use very, very low amounts of electric power.
I might be happier with a hand crank now. But by UT times they should have solar power banks carry quite a load.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I might be happier with a hand crank now. But by UT times they should have solar power banks carry quite a load.
The Sun does not become stronger at higher TLs. The possible gains in solar cell efficiency are limited. Current research is mostly aimed (rightly IMHO) at making lighter and cheaper cells.

UT does have a hundred lbs of paint-on solar cells that would cover 800 square feet and provide full "external" power. It's the lightest and cheapest option at TL9 for such a level of power. It's just not that good an investment in a life pod.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #28
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The Sun does not become stronger at higher TLs. The possible gains in solar cell efficiency are limited. Current research is mostly aimed (rightly IMHO) at making lighter and cheaper cells.

UT does have a hundred lbs of paint-on solar cells that would cover 800 square feet and provide full "external" power. It's the lightest and cheapest option at TL9 for such a level of power. It's just not that good an investment in a life pod.
How much do you need? If you can get enough out of the sun to power a handcomp or multiscanner or flashlight, or any of the few other devices you want to be powered then you are all right.

A blaster probably takes quite a bit of power. On the other hand you don't really need a blaster unless you expect sophants or really large animals. A bow will do just as well for hunting.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #29
jason taylor

A number of gadgets already in use have multiple uses. I have a power bank that has an incorporated compass and flashlight. It can power both by the sun and by cord but I found the cord unreliable.

Rescue tools also often have incorporated power banks.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #30
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Surely a few seeds do not take up space. Nor does an ax or entrenching tool.
There's a movie about passengers from a starliner marooned in a lifeboat.

A lifeboat system has a problem, and one of the passengers asks a crewmember why there isn't a backup.

The crewmember replies that they're in a lifeboat. It IS the backup.

At some point lifeboat gear has to reach a cutoff, or you eventually put lifeboats on the lifeboats.

Things on a lifeboat will be useful under as many circumstances as possible. They will be small, light, inexpensively made and minimalist. Keep in mind they will probably NEVER be used and are just there to check a box on an inspection.

A tarp can become a tent, a tend can't really become a tarp very well. What if you need a tarp? The lifeboat would have a tarp and some cordage rather than purpose made tents.... ect, etc, etc.

Knives are useful under almost any circumstance, but keep in mind there may be security concerns about hijacers breaking into lifeboats to obtain weapons. Knives, axes and so on may not be present. There is a fire ax on each US flagged airliner... locked in the cockpit.

Seeds are useful only on worlds with appropriate conditions AND a rescue time that extends into months. Unless those are both highly likely there won't be seeds on a lifeboat.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-12-2018 at 09:23 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote