Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Question about Fanaticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Yes but the criterion you gave was "willingness to undergo certain death" .
My statement that the only code all Fanatics hold in common is their willingness to accept certain death for their focus is not and was not intended to be a definition. The definition would something like "Unwillingness to accept that there may be other things which are at all important." For example a Fanatic Frodo would doubtless have killed Gollum on the off chance that he would continue to threaten the mission.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
For example a Fanatic Frodo would doubtless have killed Gollum on the off chance that he would continue to threaten the mission.
As would have a Pragmatic Frodo.

What we had instead was an Idealistic Frodo.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
Anders

Okay, so it seems we have two different positions which I shall call Curmudgeon and Mailanka. Hmm...

I think Mailanka's opinion seems more in keeping with the spirit of the rules. Although one should probably be careful about what other disadvantages a Fanatic character takes.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
jason taylor

The question is more about what Gurps fanaticism is. I have a rough idea of what real-world fanaticism is though it is usually applied to ones enemies rather then allies unless one wants to imply that one is rather ambiguous about said ally("Ivan Partisanski is a fanatic but he is our fanatic").
Old 08-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The question is more about what Gurps fanaticism is. I have a rough idea of what real-world fanaticism is though it is usually applied to ones enemies rather then allies unless one wants to imply that one is rather ambiguous about said ally("Ivan Partisanski is a fanatic but he is our fanatic").
Fanatics on your side are "patriots" or "incorruptible" or something. Essentially the disadvantage is whatever you are fanatical about is worth more than your life, souls and sacred honor, but unlike an Obsession if it doesn't obviously need your services right now, you can do other stuff. It's the crazy form of Sense of Duty rather than Goal or Interest.

Tags
disadvantage, fanaticism