Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
GnomesofZurich

Default Opposite of Easy to Read

The Easy to Read disadvantage gives others bonuses to determine your intentions and to detect when you are lying. I'm trying to figure out an advantage to do the opposite.

Existing advantages that I've considered but that don't seem to quite fit the bill include: Indomitable, Metabolism Control, Obscure and Resistant.

How would you model this? Simply create a new advantage, Hard to Read, that gives penalties rather than bonuses?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:27 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Opposite of Easy to Read

I'd go with Obscure. It's what fits best. A -50% limitation for being limited to part of a sense. That makes Immunity (-10) cost 10 points, which looks right when compared to Immunity.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
weby

I went with creating a new advantage.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I went with creating a new advantage.
A leveled perk would make sense. Again, 10 points for Immunity (-10 TDM) feels right to me.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
JMason

Doesn't Honest Face do exactly this?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Doesn't Honest Face do exactly this?
No. It gives you +1 to Acting, for acting innocent, and people tend to assume that you're honest and not a troublemaker. But that's all.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'd go with Obscure. It's what fits best. A -50% limitation for being limited to part of a sense. That makes Immunity (-10) cost 10 points, which looks right when compared to Immunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A leveled perk would make sense. Again, 10 points for Immunity (-10 TDM) feels right to me.
For obscure you have a lot of related things it helps against so that would point to several +20% things.

As for perk: It seems like a overly power perk to influence so many things. Compare to the more limited honest face perk as example.

And as a third think most disadvantages in GURPS seem to be either priced at less points than the corresponding advantage or the same points.

After thinking about what would be correct price I finally went with the same price effect at 10 points for the many -4/+4s. It does feel a bit low, but close enough so I went with it.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
The Easy to Read disadvantage gives others bonuses to determine your intentions and to detect when you are lying. I'm trying to figure out an advantage to do the opposite.

Existing advantages that I've considered but that don't seem to quite fit the bill include: Indomitable, Metabolism Control, Obscure and Resistant.

How would you model this? Simply create a new advantage, Hard to Read, that gives penalties rather than bonuses?
How about just a Talent? Seems like the "I'm good at a few related skills" would be best served by raising the related skills.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
How about just a Talent? Seems like the "I'm good at a few related skills" would be best served by raising the related skills.
The trouble is that Easy to Read gives bonuses to the skills of the person trying to see through you. Hard to Read logically should give penalties. There are no Talents that modify other people's skills.

That also rules out Resistance modifiers; the Easy to Read doesn't just penalize rolls of your own that could be defined as "resistance rolls."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The trouble is that Easy to Read gives bonuses to the skills of the person trying to see through you. Hard to Read logically should give penalties. There are no Talents that modify other people's skills.

That also rules out Resistance modifiers; the Easy to Read doesn't just penalize rolls of your own that could be defined as "resistance rolls."
I'll have to look at my books for the resolution mechanic; it seems to me that this is a prime candidate for a Quick Contest, in which case it can be phrased as increasing/decreasing the margin of success of the contest, and it really doesn't matter where they penalties are assigned. If it's an unopposed roll, well, that's just darn odd. "I'm better at X" is most often modeled well by actually being better at X, though I'll grant that the imposition of penalties to others is not well modeled by a Talent.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote