Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: Lever action rifle to revolver conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
You could embed a silver penetrator in a lead base, though.
This article has more than a little information on silver bullets, and how hard they are to make. The Guest Post at the end is specific to silver-tipped lead bullets, though these are copper-jacketed.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
What cartridges woud likely fit into a converted 1855? I figured .56 56 spencer but that's a pure guess.
The 1855 also came in .44, so .44-40 would probably be viable, and maybe the .45 Long Colt (not really sure about that one). .44-40 is a rifle round which was also used in several revolver pistols (including a run of the SAA "six-gun"), so it would probably be the "go-to" round for such a conversion.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmash View Post
A better bet would be for him to sell the Winchester and buy a revolving rifle or carbine (probably a Colt) and make certain it's been converted to fire cartridges rather than used as a caplock.

He should find the revolving rifle before he sells the Winchester. Depending on when he's looking they could be cheap and relatively easy to find or not so much.

It has the additional benefit of being written up (HT Adventure Guns p26 (writeup) and 35 (stats)). If you're using a conversion, then the reload will be somewhat faster, and the risk of his character eventually being nicknamed 'stumpy' will be much lower.
I haven't got that one yet. :( Any attempted purchases are likely to be made in a small town in Eastern Colorado in 1872, and the character was banned from the town's gunshop a couple of sessions ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's a problem that none of the mentioned revolving carbines has a swing cylinder or even top break action. I think they're all loading gate even in cartridge conversion. Very little is slower to load than a loading gate revolver.

Swing cylinder dates to 1892 (early TL6) anyway.

The Winchester can already be loaded one round at a time with special loads on top of what's in the tube quite easily.
Well, I think that may about cover the answer I needed.

Quote:
Oh, and if "special loads" means silver bullets those don't work very well in blackpowder guns anyway. Lead obturates (changes shape to seal the barrel and engage the rifling) at only 5000 psi. Silver doesn't do it at less than 35,000 psi.

For most special ammo you probably want a shotgun because smoothbores needs no obturation.
No, special ammunition is enchanted bullets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
The 1855 also came in .44, so .44-40 would probably be viable, and maybe the .45 Long Colt (not really sure about that one). .44-40 is a rifle round which was also used in several revolver pistols (including a run of the SAA "six-gun"), so it would probably be the "go-to" round for such a conversion.
.44-40 is preferred, for compatibility with other guns.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

FWIW, this book has several pages on silver bullets:
GURPS Loadouts: Monster Hunters
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/l...onsterhunters/
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Well, I think that may about cover the answer I needed.
s.
Yeah, see High Tech p.109 about the Spencer (the 1865 version) and then p.110 for the Winchester. You can load these one round at a time and bypass what's in the magazine.

I will just gloss over your player having an Early Adopter Perk for having a Winchester in .44-40 in 1872 rather than 1873. :)

When asked I do try and warn people about setting a realistic western too soon after the Civil War. If you don't wait unbtil1873 or even into the 1880s your selection of toys is uncomfortably limited. Hans' Adventure Guns pdf has the details if you want to go out deep enough into the weeds.

for low realism Westerns you probably don't even set an exact date.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #16
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yeah, see High Tech p.109 about the Spencer (the 1865 version) and then p.110 for the Winchester. You can load these one round at a time and bypass what's in the magazine.

I will just gloss over your player having an Early Adopter Perk for having a Winchester in .44-40 in 1872 rather than 1873. :)

When asked I do try and warn people about setting a realistic western too soon after the Civil War. If you don't wait unbtil1873 or even into the 1880s your selection of toys is uncomfortably limited. Hans' Adventure Guns pdf has the details if you want to go out deep enough into the weeds.

for low realism Westerns you probably don't even set an exact date.
The character has got Early adopter, in order to carry the Winchester and a Colt SAA (hence the standardization on .44-40). I had a particular reason for choosing the start date I did, related to the spread of railroads. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what it was, and have now forgotten.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I had a particular reason for choosing the start date I did, related to the spread of railroads. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what it was, and have now forgotten.
Probably something to do with the way the rail lines will interact with native magic, or damage the migration of magical species, or something about evil Rail Barons.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun modification, high tech