Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default Lever action rifle to revolver conversion

A PC in my Weird West (late TL 5 ) game currently has a Winchester model 1873 rifle. The player now wants a revolver type action, in order to be able to more conveniently change out specialized (magical) ammunition in the cylinder. My three questions are:
1) Is it easier to swap out the ammo in a swing out cylinder than in a magazine?
2) If so, is it possible to convert the existing gun to do this?
3) If so, how hard is it?
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
cosmicfish

Default Re: Lever action rifle to revolver conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
1) Is it easier to swap out the ammo in a swing out cylinder than in a magazine?
2) If so, is it possible to convert the existing gun to do this?
3) If so, how hard is it?
1) Yes, it is easier to load/reload a revolver cylinder than it is to load/reload an integral tube magazine like the 1873 uses.
2) Not really. The two designs have very few parts in common. You might be able to salvage the barrel, trigger, and hammer, but all the internals are quite different.
3) Harder than building a revolver rifle from scratch.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Phantasm

It's probably more efficient for your player to just trade in his lever-action Winchester for a Colt 1855 Revolving Rifle or 1873 Revolver Carbine, the former converted from caplock to cartridge. (The latter appears to be a very rare and custom-order rifle.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
... a revolver type action, in order to be able to more conveniently change out specialized (magical) ammunition in the cylinder.
If he usually has a horse to carry his weapons around, and can afford two guns, he'll do better having one with each kind of ammunition loaded. Loading either a revolver or a tubular magazine is pretty slow in combat time.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Badmash

A better bet would be for him to sell the Winchester and buy a revolving rifle or carbine (probably a Colt) and make certain it's been converted to fire cartridges rather than used as a caplock.

He should find the revolving rifle before he sells the Winchester. Depending on when he's looking they could be cheap and relatively easy to find or not so much.

It has the additional benefit of being written up (HT Adventure Guns p26 (writeup) and 35 (stats)). If you're using a conversion, then the reload will be somewhat faster, and the risk of his character eventually being nicknamed 'stumpy' will be much lower.

Ninja'd by tbrock1031

Last edited by Badmash; 01-18-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: ninja'd by tbrock1031
Badmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

It's a problem that none of the mentioned revolving carbines has a swing cylinder or even top break action. I think they're all loading gate even in cartridge conversion. Very little is slower to load than a loading gate revolver.

Swing cylinder dates to 1892 (early TL6) anyway.

The Winchester can already be loaded one round at a time with special loads on top of what's in the tube quite easily.

Oh, and if "special loads" means silver bullets those don't work very well in blackpowder guns anyway. Lead obturates (changes shape to seal the barrel and engage the rifling) at only 5000 psi. Silver doesn't do it at less than 35,000 psi.

For most special ammo you probably want a shotgun because smoothbores needs no obturation.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Supposedly, there was such a thing as a Mershon & Hollingsworth Revolving Cylinder Automatic Rifle. Get one of those. Convert to cartridge. Or, set it up to pop the whole cylinders out and back in, like a speed-loader. Many revolvers worked that way in the percussion cap days. They weren't very fast, but I suspect you aren't looking for realism. Charge a Perk for "Early Adopter" and you are done.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
RogerWilco

This video might give you some idea of what would be involved in such a conversion (not exactly the same, but historical attempts to convert riffles in the 1880s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7B1RqiQAdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckv3dfwvSY
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
chimchim

What cartridges woud likely fit into a converted 1855? I figured .56 56 spencer but that's a pure guess.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Oh, and if "special loads" means silver bullets those don't work very well in blackpowder guns anyway. Lead obturates (changes shape to seal the barrel and engage the rifling) at only 5000 psi. Silver doesn't do it at less than 35,000 psi.
You could embed a silver penetrator in a lead base, though.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun modification, high tech