Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
scc

Default Why Doesn't Creatures Of The Night Have Any Playable Races?

So I was reading through How to Be a GURPS GM today and I noticed in the section listing all the types of books that there's a type of catalogue book missing: One full of player/NPC races! Now I'm pretty sure that THS has a couple of these, but those are setting specific.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Why Doesn't Creatures Of The Night Have Any Playable Races?

You will find a dozen or so in GURPS Fantasy.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
Refplace

Creatures of the Night was pretty much a set of themed bestiaries.
Rather exotic and unique ones too.
The Dungeon Fantasy series as well as GURPS Fantasy have quite a few fantasy races. Also various Pyramids.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Creatures of the Night was pretty much a set of themed bestiaries.
Rather exotic and unique ones too.
The Dungeon Fantasy series as well as GURPS Fantasy have quite a few fantasy races. Also various Pyramids.
It is something that a GM and player or players can use as a starting point to create some playable races, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Phantasm

One book I've been waiting for is GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Racial Templates & Meta-Traits.

Not every fantasy game uses the same Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, unlike That Other Game - a Banestorm Elf is not necessarily the same as a Dungeon Fantasy Elf, nor is either the same as a Celtic Myth Sidhe, and all three are different from my own setting's Elves - and let's not get into the two dozen different takes on dragons. And then there are space opera games with no alien species, others with different handfuls of alien species, and the occasional setting with over 2000 alien species, and the aliens from GURPS Aliens may not fit other settings, certainly not my Ventureverse with its half-dozen non-humanoid aliens and 4 droid PC packages.

A book on how to craft racial templates with tips for various genres would be much more useful than a book of fantasy races or alien species I'll never use because said races don't fit my setting.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
bert

I agree with Phantasm that such a book would be very useful. Even better, in my opinion, would be a bestiary for 4th edition that also covers these topics. There is some advice on how to create races if we consider Biotech, Fantasy, and a couple of other sources. However, a full treatment on creating racial templates, collecting this information and building upon it would be very valuable!

And let us not forget Mini-Gulliver 1.1!
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Honestly, probably the best and most thorough book giving advice for creating Racial Templates in 4e is GURPS Space. It dedicates an almost 40 page chapter to creating alien races, delving both into psychology and physiology. It even has a random race generation tables...

I've been looking for my next javascript programming project and I think I just found it.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
bert

I agree the alien race section is very good in Space 4th edition. Also, the original in GURPS Uplift for 3e is very good.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

I thought the the Lytherions in the first volume were a PC race?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Honestly, probably the best and most thorough book giving advice for creating Racial Templates in 4e is GURPS Space. It dedicates an almost 40 page chapter to creating alien races, delving both into psychology and physiology. It even has a random race generation tables...
I am a big fan of this sort of race design, but I definitely want a a race-design book to include another chapter that tackles it from the the other direction - what role do you need them to play in your narrative, both as in-game actors, and at a meta level? GURPS Fantasy has a substantial section on race design and selection from this perspective; not down to trait selection, but on working out the race concept, which I think is pretty important. GURPS Horror also speaks to this, although from the distinctly horror perspective (for obvious reasons). GURPS Zombies drills heavily into this and includes trait selection, but for the narrow perspective of zombies (also for obvious reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I've been looking for my next javascript programming project and I think I just found it.
Hurray! You can loot the random dungeon project for the weighted table code if you like.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote