Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Pyramid Technomancer experiment

I adore Cabal.

I still use Blue Planet for the in depth rules on diving and living under water. I don't know of any other game supplement that even comes close in degree of detail for that subject.
Those rules made the setting feel more real.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 05-26-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I adore Cabal.

I still use Blue Planet for the in depth rules on diving and living under water. I don't know of any other game supplement that even comes close in degree of detail for that subject.
Those rules made the setting feel more real.
There are equivalent rules in Gurps Atlantis and TS:Under Pressure or at leas they all blur together in my mind as one long Bataaan Death March of a combined playtest.

Cabal on the other hand sprang from the mind of Ken Hite and saw very little alteration in the playtest. It's a tribute to Phil Masters that he was able to transfer the mechanics to 4e. That having been done I'm not sure what would be the target for "updating" in a Pyramid issue.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

I like this. I often feel dissatisfied with Pyramid, and this issue has shown me part of why that happens.

The ordinary themed issues have several articles that aren't integrated. Each article presents some ideas, and there's nothing wrong with the ideas, but if they don't spark anything for me, I don't really get anything from them. My tastes in gaming style seem to be sufficiently different from the target audience that there are plenty of issues that I get nothing out of.

This issue, however, has enough material that's closely related that questions like "why is it like this?" are worth asking, and the answers are sufficiently constrained to be interesting.

For another example, I don't play DF or DFRPG, and thus found the relevant Pyramid issues fairly uninteresting. Locations: Caverntown, on the other hand, was very interesting, because it has enough complexity, and enough interlinked parts, that interesting questions and answers naturally emerge from it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Canology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Cabal on the other hand sprang from the mind of Ken Hite and saw very little alteration in the playtest. It's a tribute to Phil Masters that he was able to transfer the mechanics to 4e. That having been done I'm not sure what would be the target for "updating" in a Pyramid issue.
Where was Cabal updated to 4e? I must have missed that!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canology View Post
The magic rules were done in Thaumatology.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Refplace

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
The magic rules were done in Thaumatology.
I just skimmed my copy to refresh my memory (I tend to forget how cool this book is) and it really needs little updating.
The magic systems have mostly been updated in Thaumatology, though I can see and have ideas for expanding them.
Hermetic magic based off Voodoo and could be done with Ritual Path Magic, Book/Path, or even Realm with some tweeks but mostly just worked examples.
When I did the True Names article I made sure it was compatible with Cabal and Thaumatology.
Call outs to other systems such as Default Magic, Tree Magic, and Runes have also been updated in Thaumatology.

Spirits and some other things could use template updates but that is mostly just accounting by correcting the numbers. A few abilities would require more work but its pretty well covered.

What such a Pyramid would do really is bring attention to a great setting and I can see articles, especially based on Monster Hunters that worked with the setting.
As Johndalman mentioned above it could be a unifying theme that makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
But just reading that book I can think of not only several articles but actual books I would like to see based on GURPS Cabal.
Magical expansions, bestiaries, adventures, Locations, Hot Spots all could use it.

One problem with GURPS actually stems from its longevity, almost every Third Edition setting could be used 'As is' or with only minor tweaking but they get overlooked because its a different edition or just so old.

Idea for Bloggers
What if several bloggers all decided to work on a specific setting for a specific month?
Obviously if we can time it with a Pyramid, new product or anniversary that would be best. Baring that opportunity however we could just vote on a setting and just explore it. Everything from reviews to fresh ideas.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 05-27-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #17
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Thaumatology and/or Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic
Pyramid #3/58 Urban Fantasy II has the article 'Hunting the Cabal', which brings the Cabal into GURPS Monster Hunters
Pyramid #3/97 Strange Powers has an article on Reptoids

I may have missed some.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Do you like the idea of an issue focused on 'updating' some classic settings?
Assuming licensed settings are off the table what settings would you liketo see, if any?
Yes and all. I hope Pyramid will be around for a long time, I plan to be around for a long time, so there is enough time for all of them.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #19
rkbrown419

I'd love to see more of an update of the IST setting than it has been given thus far. The premise that the world goes through frequent reality quakes could make for some interesting variants to explore.

I'm also a vote for updating Cyberworld and Autoduel. Teradyne could give GURPS a good hard SF setting.

Along with updating some of the third edition books perhaps Pyramid could also expand on some of the worlds in the Infinite Worlds book. Several of them could benefit from an expanded treatment.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #20
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Do you like the idea of an issue focused on 'updating' some classic settings?
Assuming licensed settings are off the table what settings would you liketo see, if any?
Yes

And pretty much anything.

I think its a decent back door way of getting a 4E versiom of books we would never get.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps classic, pyramid, pyramid #3/115, technomancer