Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
collinc

Default Rick and Morty Munchkin! 17+! It's real!

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/st...64756462735362

Omg I need this in my life. I need all the promos and bookmarks everything ever made related to it.
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Rick and Morty Munchkin! 17+! It's real!

Roosterboy'd!

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=148481
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Mister Ed

Eh, I guess it was just a matter of time before the popularity of Munchkin meant it succumbed to the lure of putting out an "adult" version.

I'll miss playing every version of the game (a goal I hadn't quite met yet, but was getting close to), but that's OK. I kind of liked the "family friendly" nature of Munchkin, but one game won't really change that, if I just ignore it.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
collinc

See that guy should have put it in the title. With exclamation marks.

Mister Ed, is it safe to assume then you've never watched Rick and Morty? You should REALLY give it a try. It's amazing.
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinc View Post
See that guy should have put it in the title. With exclamation marks.

Mister Ed, is it safe to assume then you've never watched Rick and Morty? You should REALLY give it a try. It's amazing.
When I heard about the set, I looked it up. I can safely say it would almost certainly not be to my tastes.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
ColBosch

*shrugs* To each their own. I find Rick and Morty's themes and morals to be far better-developed than most "family friendly" fare. Its anarchic style is a veneer over a surprisingly deep discussion of free will, the casual acceptance of violence and its consequences, the meaning of love (and all of its various aspects), mental health, and the medium of television itself. Yes, it's meant for mature audiences, because its subject material is about as mature as one can find - that is, it's truly grown up in a medium focused on juvenile titillation.

It's also very, very funny. Did I mention that part?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
ThisisDog

Rick and Morty is no where near as crass as shows like Family Guy and things like that. I think the cards will just have the odd bit of bad language on them, nothing set to offend.

I think it's nice that we get an adult Munchkin set. Not all game groups are playing with their kids, ours is all adult and we drink as we play, and quite often end up on something like Cards Against Humanity or Telestrations After Dark for a bit shock comedy, although admittedly the former has lost it's impact somewhat. I've often found that a lot of people within the hobby look down on adult games, my local FLGS won't even stock things like that.

On the subject of Rick and Morty, give it a few episodes. People asked me to do that with Adventure Time and I did a couple of seasons, I still hate it but I tried. Both this and Archer were the same though, wasn't keen on either but after a while both are among my favourite shows.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I kind of liked the "family friendly" nature of Munchkin, but one game won't really change that, if I just ignore it.
What you're describing as "family friendly," some families see as most unfriendly. "Family friendly" is subjective, and it is not our place to decide what is right for each individual family.

Munchkin is large enough that the gameplay appeals to a wide audience, and that means there will be times when some edges of the Munchkin world are less attractive to one person where another person holds it up and yells: My favorite!!!

The best thing is to select your own personal favorites and have fun.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rick and morty, wubba lubba dub-dub