Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Jesterjak

Default New to Munchkin! Need guidance!

Hi! So I am sorta new to munchkin. I have played munchkin in the past at a few gatherings. But I finally bought myself a core set, and am looking to explore and build a mix of munchkin games. I love the pathfinder games so of course I went, and bought that as my first core set. I am looking to add on to it, and was wondering which deluxe set should I add to my pathfinder core set. I love both the regular munchkins and munchkin legends as I have played them both in the past. But which one would be have more compatibility, or does it not matter? Should I get the pathfinder deluxe set or is it the same game just with the level mat and figures? Any and all help is needed. Thanks in advanced.
Jesterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: New to Munchkin! Need guidance!

Pathfinder Deluxe and Pathfinder are, at their core, the same game. Cards are identical between the two.

Possible next steps:

* Munchkin Game Changers - http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/gamechangers/

* Moop's Monster Mashup - http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/moopsmashup/

* Munchkin Oz - http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/oz/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
ColBosch

Any of the sets with standard Munchkin "fantasy" backs will mix in, and well. To add to what Phil suggested, regular ol' Munchkin, Legends, and Conan are all full-sized sets that blend well with each other. There's also a plethora of expansions and boosters, as you've probably noticed.

The only pitfall I'd watch out for is "watering-down" certain mechanics. Munchkin Pathfinder has its own set of classes, different from those in any other Munchkin game, and you add too many more cards then you run the risk of not having them show up as much as you'd like.

Luckily, the solution is simple: there's nothing saying you have to stick to a certain card mix. Play with what you want, mixing partial or full sets however you enjoy. Munchkin isn't a deck-building game - that would be either Munchkin Smash Up, or the forthcoming Munchkin CCG - but that doesn't mean you don't have control over what goes in your play decks.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Munchkin isn't a deck-building game . . .

But seeing custom deck builds -- card lists of "use these treasures and these dungeons for a game in which X is common" --would be entertaining.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
But seeing custom deck builds -- card lists of "use these treasures and these dungeons for a game in which X is common" --would be entertaining.
Absolutely agreed. Call 'em "Blender Recipes." :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Jesterjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The only pitfall I'd watch out for is "watering-down" certain mechanics. Munchkin Pathfinder has its own set of classes, different from those in any other Munchkin game, and you add too many more cards then you run the risk of not having them show up as much as you'd like.

Luckily, the solution is simple: there's nothing saying you have to stick to a certain card mix. Play with what you want, mixing partial or full sets however you enjoy. Munchkin isn't a deck-building game - that would be either Munchkin Smash Up, or the forthcoming Munchkin CCG - but that doesn't mean you don't have control over what goes in your play decks.
That is what I was afraid of have some sets mixed to the point of being to muddy. I am thinking of making mine a more pathfinder oriented set. Adding some boosters and hopefully more pathfinder expansions in the future. I think what I will do is a pathfinder/legends type to create a mythical rpg setting. As those are my favorite types of video games.

I see some dragons and goblins boosters out there that I think will make a great additions to what I am trying to achieve.

Again thank you all for your help.
Jesterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
MazeMonster
Banned

I've built a really neat Holiday Deck with Christmas Lite as its core. I added Puppies, Kittens, and Hipsters to it, as well as the Easter, Halloween, and Valentines expansions.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
ThisisDog

It's true with the watered down mechanics thing. What I've done in my blender is create extra "things" cards, so there's at least 10 of each including hipsters, princesses, birthright etc. They are still drowned out by elves and thieves etc, but there's more chance of getting them. Also more half breeds.

We also play an argue your case rule, where if you get an item you can't use but you feel you should be able to, you can argue that point and if the rest of the players are generally in favour then so be it. The example I always give is the Tail Gun, which is usable by feline only, but because centaurs and lizard guys have tails then they should also be able to use it. Providing your group are in it for fun and not just to be mean, it usually works out fine.

I've got everything mixed in on my set and those two adjustments make it work fine.