Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Polyhedral Spells

Now that new dice are becoming available to TFT players, I was thinking that the missile spells might be retooled to use polyhedral dice. For example, Magic Fist does 1d-2 per point of strength, but always does the amount of ST put into it at minimum. So this could easily equate to 1d4 per point of ST. The distribution curve of results would be different than the current d6-based one, but the overall range would be comparable. Along those lines the missile spells could be remapped thus:

Magic Fist: STd4
Fireball: STd5
Lightning: STd6
Wizard's Wrath: STd8

This mapping assumes the addition of a d5/d10/d20 die at some point. And it's generous to Wizard's Wrath, granting slightly more damage than currently defined. But the progress is nice and clean overall, and it eliminates the "always does ST damage at minimum" caveat, because there are never negative modifiers to the roll.

Along these same lines I have already added a throwing weapon to one of my adventures which is functionally identical to a sha-ken, but which does 1d4 instead of 1d6-2.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Polyhedral Spells

I am going to miss getting negative damage, thus healing my characters.

;->
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
Shadekeep

There's nothing like the soothing kiss of a throwing star to make a boo-boo better. ;)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
tomc

1d4 Throwing Stars make squads of Halfling Ninjas even more devastating. <evil grin>

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
Steve Plambeck

This is all rather inspiring. Let's have a Paddle of Healing. Each new whack heals (2-7), with negative numbers being additional damage, positive numbers hits healed. (The range being from 5 hits healed to 5 more hits damage.) Or it could be bottled and called The Potion of Last Resort, with each sip doing (2-7). Unlike most magic items this stuff could be dirt cheap, or even free!

Who's feeling lucky? :-)

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 07-08-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Steve Plambeck is online now   Reply With Quote