Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [Powers] Afflict on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So we're talking defeat with no way to avoid it?
Affliction allows for resistance checks. There is no published method of removing a target's ability to resist. (You can remove their ability to defend, but not their ability to resist.)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So we're talking defeat with no way to avoid it?
Clarification: It's not necessary to avoid resistance rolls (though remarks to that effect might also be of interest).
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Clarification: It's not necessary to avoid resistance rolls (though remarks to that effect might also be of interest).
You cannot remove their resistance. You can, however, do things in such a way that they don't get to resist in the first place.

If you want the effect with no chance of the subject brushing off the effect due to a successful resistance check, you would not build out the power using Affliction as the base. Instead, you would use Innate Attack with Symptoms and a handful of other modifiers (potentially including a cosmic rules exemption if the desired effect isn't within the symptoms' modifier's list of allowed effects). Its' not cheap, mind. But you didn't require that it be a cheap method.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
I can't remember exactly how Medusa's schtick worked. Did she have to look at someone or meet their eyes? I'm looking for something where the victim is affected just by seeing the afflictor-character, even if the afflictor-character is unaware of being observed.
Anyone who looked directly at Medusa was turned to stone, even if she wasn't looking at them. Anyone who looked at a reflection of Medusa was safe. (Hence Perseus borrowing the polished-metal shield owned by Athena and using it as a mirror to see Medusa when he attacked her.)

I have no idea how to specify "on seeing but not on seeing in a reflection" in GURPS...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I have no idea how to specify "on seeing but not on seeing in a reflection" in GURPS...
Sense-Based (One Sense; Vision) + Accessibility (! Reflections). I'd price the accessibility at -10% or so.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
You want Sense-Based from {GURPS Basic, pg 109} to be able to affect anyone that sees you. This becomes a limitation instead of an enhancement if you also take Malediction. Sense-Based (Reversed) is located in {GURPS Powers, pg 105}, which is what you'd use if you have to see them in order to affect them.

Note that this is a penetration modifier. You'd potentially want a number of other modifiers as well, Aura (and Melee Attack: Reach C), Always On, Area Effect, etc ... depending on the exact behavior you want.
I don't want it to be limited by distance, I want it to take effect (trigger a contest of resistance) purely by being seen, irrespective of distance.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
Walrus

Quote:
I don't want it to be limited by distance, I want it to take effect (trigger a contest of resistance) purely by being seen, irrespective of distance.
Then it's certainly non-PC ability and shouldn't be priced.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Two methods.

One, Increased Range: Line of Sight. {GURPS Psionic Powers, pg 20} {GURPS Power Ups 4, pg 15} Problem, this is explicitly incompatible with Sense-Based. You have to see them, not them see you. Layer in a cosmic rules exception if you truly want to avoid Malediction for some reason.
Totals out to +40%, +240% with sense-based (reversed) and cosmic (can combine with sense-based). {+40%} | {+40%; +150%; +50%}

Your referee may handwave the baked-in Sense-Based as being reversible. Or it may not. If it does, it totals out to +40%.

Two, Sense-Based (Reversed), Malediction 3 and Long-Range 1 {GURPS Powers, pg 108} {GURPS Power Ups 4, pg 15}. It has no range limit. Period. Full stop. If they can see you (even from the other side of the universe), it can affect them. This is incompatible with Increased Range.
Totals out to +230%. {-20%; +200%; +50%}
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Figleaf23
Banned

I'm still not grasping what Malediction is doing in these builds.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Then it's certainly non-PC ability and shouldn't be priced.
Meh.

The published materials for the game allow the effect to be modeled. It isn't necessarily cheap, but it can be done. Whether a specific GM should or should not allow it in their games is something that is up to the referee in question. We are being asked a "How Do I" question, not a "Should I" question.

Tags
affliction, aura of power, sense-based, visage of power