Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
dataweaver

Default Arcane Lore for Ritual Path Magic

I'm considering a couple of tweaks for Ritual Path Magic. The one I'd like to present here is Arcane Lore.

The idea is this: in addition to the nine Paths that everyone has access to, there are also an open-ended assortment of Arcane Lore skills. Each Arcane Lore skill has its own focus: Earth, Air, Weather, Light, Good, Evil… if it would qualify as a 5 points-per-level Power Talent that's suitable for the Magic power source, it can be used as an Arcane Lore skill. Arcane Lore works exactly like a Path does, except that it has no default. I'm debating two other possible differences: reducing the difficulty to IQ/H due to the narrower scope of Arcane Lore (many, but not all, of them might be thought of as optional Specializations of Paths), and requiring a character who wishes to learn one to meet the requirements described under Hidden Lore (to emphasize the idea that Arcane Lore is exceptionally hard to find; but should it be? That might be good to help add magical secret societies to the setting; but it might be overkill).

One of the benefits of Arcane Lore is that it can straddle the divisions between the Paths: for weather-working, use Path of Energy to affect things like wind speed or electrical activity, and Path of Matter to summon rain, hail, etc.; or just use Arcane Lore: Weather for any and all of the above.

Thoughts?
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Arcane Lore for Ritual Path Magic

At first thought it sounds good and not that different from when some of us go about making new paths anyhow.
Since each instance of effect adds a modifier rather then how many skills are used I think its balanced.
Here are some I posted for Vampire Blood magic (inspired by WOD). Note that some of these may be too broad for what your wanting here but I removed the regular paths for them so they lose a lot of versatility.

Bala: Physical strength and the natural earth and soil. Lesser effects allow enhancement of strength and subtle or believable changes to the body or earth. Greater effects allow connecting two points on earth as if with a gate.

Deimos: Fear and terror were the hallmark of this felled god. Projecting fear into the targets mind is a Lesser effect for animals and a Greater effect for sentient minds.

Juno: Jealousy and bickering were what was taken from this former Goddess of fertility and her power also controls the blood. Projecting Jealousy or Discord into the targets mind is a Lesser effect for animals and a Greater effect for sentient minds. Lesser effects affect the caster, his blood pool and conditional spells. Greater effects can involve another vampires magic or powers or tie magic permanently to a place or object.

Lilith: Enthralment and seduction are the province of this line.

Orion: A former god of the hunt he aids in hunting prey. Lesser effects include sensing anyone your hunting. Greater effects include movement towards your prey and combat speed.

Poseidon: God of the sea and earthquakes. Lesser effects include sensing what is on or in the sea and subtle, localized and believable changes to water. Greater effects include enhanced sea movement, connecting two points of ocean (not lakes or lesser bodies of water) and dramatic or blatant changes to water.

Proteus: Scion of Poseidon this god could change shape and see the future. Lesser effects can include Divination of vague things, such as predicting the weather. Greater effects allow more precise and specific things to be predicted and also covers change of form.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
dataweaver

Default Re: Arcane Lore for Ritual Path Magic

Arcane Lore could probably come in two varieties: IQ/H would cover the equivalent of 5/lvl magic powers, and IQ/VH would cover the equivalent of 10/lvl magic powers. 15/lvl magic powers would be better represented by Arcane Lore! Wildcard Skills if they're permitted at all — and I wouldn't permit them.

A sampling of possible IQ/H Arcane Lores, derived from the 5/lvl magic powers found in Powers: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, Death, Good, Evil, Astral Projection, Body Alteration, Gates, Divination, Healing, Force Constructs, Illusion, Wishing, Psychokinesis, Spirit Control, Telepathy, Teleportation, Time Mastery, Vampirism, and Weather Control.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, thaumatology