Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #191
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: GURPS Tactical Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
My bad - I wasn't being completely clear.
I don't think there is a Wait maneuver that lets you step, hence, you're actually taking an Attack maneuver. You Attack: step, search, fire or don't; then either Wait or Attack again, etc, until you round the corner.
If someone is around the corner Waiting for Op-Fire, you get shot at. If they were pie-slicing or just moving, it's a Quick contest (if they were using a move that allows an attack).
If you were Waiting for Op-fire, perhaps having heard them approach, you get the first shot.

The above all depends on Attack allowing you the choice, ie if your target is no longer in range of a melee attack, do you still swing your sword?
The same logic would apply to ranged attack: you step around the corner and, if there is no target, do you pull the trigger anyway?
I know this is a very old thread, but it occurs to me you might be able to solve this issue through using and AoA(Double). If someone's there, take the shot for your first attack, but use the Wait on the second attack.

You lose your defenses, but a lot of Tactical Shooting stuff is around All-Out Attacks anyway, so using the rules in the book you'd not notice much difference.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #192
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but it occurs to me you might be able to solve this issue through using and AoA(Double). If someone's there, take the shot for your first attack, but use the Wait on the second attack.

You lose your defenses, but a lot of Tactical Shooting stuff is around All-Out Attacks anyway, so using the rules in the book you'd not notice much difference.
Wait is a Maneuver, not an attack option. You can't do that.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #193
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Wait is a Maneuver, not an attack option. You can't do that.
Another good idea ruined by a stubborn fact. I hate that.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #194
SCAR

How useful would Tactical Shooting be to a Gun Fu style game?

More specifically, if I'm not overly interested in gritty realistic gun combat, and Gun Fu is definitely the style I prefer, is there much which might be of interest or use to me in Tactical Shooting?
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #195
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post

More specifically, if I'm not overly interested in gritty realistic gun combat, and Gun Fu is definitely the style I prefer, is there much which might be of interest or use to me in Tactical Shooting?
  • Guns... lots of guns
  • Styles might be interesting for you
  • same for the techniques, perks etc
  • IIRC, Douglas Cole I think pointed out that you could have a campaign where the mooks use the rules from tactical shooting (especially Harsh Realism) and the 'gunsligers' use Gun Fu
  • Some other bits and pieces... like misconceptions... might be useful for you even if you reverse them

Thats about it really
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #196
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post

Well, not too much I guess, but at least there is more equipment (new weapons etc.) which might come in handy and there are some nice gun techniques, perks and things like that... So some parts of the book will be useful, others not so much.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #197
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
  • IIRC, Douglas Cole I think pointed out that you could have a campaign where the mooks use the rules from tactical shooting (especially Harsh Realism) and the 'gunsligers' use Gun Fu
  • Some other bits and pieces... like misconceptions... might be useful for you even if you reverse them

Thats about it really
Yes . . . The Matrix' "Elevator Lobby Scene" shows this. The "bad guys" are SWAT-type guys; the "good guys" are, well . . . my name is Neo.

Granted, "it's a movie," but the contrast would be pretty fun. Especially since the trained TS guys would be more predictable, in that the "best" ways of clearing a room of "good guys" would be well known, and the application of Gun Fu would explode the expectations and response times pretty well.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #198
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yes . . . The Matrix' "Elevator Lobby Scene" shows this. The "bad guys" are SWAT-type guys; the "good guys" are, well . . . my name is Neo.

Granted, "it's a movie," but the contrast would be pretty fun. Especially since the trained TS guys would be more predictable, in that the "best" ways of clearing a room of "good guys" would be well known, and the application of Gun Fu would explode the expectations and response times pretty well.
Generally, Gun Fu will "win" over TS, through cinematic power.

(Also, really, running mooks with all the extra care and detail of TS seems to defeat the purpose of having quick-to-play mooks.)
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #199
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
Generally, Gun Fu will "win" over TS, through cinematic power.

(Also, really, running mooks with all the extra care and detail of TS seems to defeat the purpose of having quick-to-play mooks.)
Both of these things are true. But my impression is that if you want to amp up the challenge beyond mooks, you can do so by using the rules in TS . . . while still allowing the heroes to use their Gun Fu to kick butt. In fact, with proper "realistic" opposition, Gun Fu will be the ONLY way to defeat said amped-up "mooks."

I'm just looking for ways the two can combine usefully. The genre switches are so profound that they don't mix well, but that doesn't mean they can't mix at all.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #200
ronom

Could the character use TS normally with a mitigator, then switch on Gun Fu abilities when needed?
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melee, tactical shooting