Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Car Wars 5e Vehicle Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurv
When you get back in to the office do you mind finding out why that is and let us know Andrew. :)
That's...not likely to happen, seeing as I haven't been on staff for four years now.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Stoob

chaotic: Just wanted to say THANKS for doing such a great and thorough job of reverse engineering the stats on all these items. I really enjoy 5e Car Wars already and this makes me like it even more.

GREAT WORK!
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #23
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoob View Post
GREAT WORK!
I did the "great work" back in 2002 when 5e first came out. I got impatient waiting for the Vehicle Design Kit mentioned on page 2. It took me six more years to discover the internet so I could share.
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
helbent4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
I did the "great work" back in 2002 when 5e first came out. I got impatient waiting for the Vehicle Design Kit mentioned on page 2. It took me six more years to discover the internet so I could share.
Chaotic,

Although "yay you" posts are generally discouraged, I would have to agree these are great rules, and you receive much kudos for your work. Must have taken a while!

Tony
helbent4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #25
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
these are great rules
SJG considers them "broken" rules, actually (which is why they were never published).
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #26
helbent4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
SJG considers them "broken" rules, actually (which is why they were never published).
Chaotic,

"Broken"? So cruel!

In a sense, much of the CW rules could be considered broken. Still, I guess if they were intending to make them consistent more work would need to be done, except, of course, that would invalidate all the CWS5 designs that were already released.

Speaking of broken rules, I can't verify at the moment if flamethrowers can now be used out the front while moving, but if so, that's a little hard to swallow.

Tony
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Stoob

Flamethrowers can be used out of the front in 5e, up to the limit if 24", but that is in all directions. I too find this a bit hard to swallow.

Chaotic, since you and I seem to be proponents of 5e, I'll share with you my house rules in that other thread in this forum "house rules".

Just a wistful, dreamy thought... I wonder if SJgames would let you/us/whomever volunteer our time to refine the 5e contstruction rules, to Mr. SJ's liking and approval of course, so they could be published by SJG in Warehouse 23 as a PDF?
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
Parody

Quote:
Just a wistful, dreamy thought... I wonder if SJgames would let you/us/whomever volunteer our time to refine the 5e contstruction rules, to Mr. SJ's liking and approval of course, so they could be published by SJG in Warehouse 23 as a PDF?
The answer has consistently been no, for the same reason posted here but with the added caveat of having to go over new rules instead of just an existing book.

If you search back through the forum you should find similar threads asking the same question.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
DocOutlands

Chaotic, thanks for having taken the time to work this out and then to share it. I haven't gotten around to playing CW5 yet, but I have a hunch that's gonna change.
DocOutlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #30
helbent4

Quote:
Flamethrowers can be used out of the front in 5e, up to the limit if 24", but that is in all directions. I too find this a bit hard to swallow.
Stoob,

God help me, I though of a way this could be possible.

We tend to think of flamethrowers as being the variety largely unchanged since WWI. However, these have some disadvantages in that the range is very limited (much less than 3600', or 24 scale inches). Plus the fuel was dangerous and limited; some dedicated flamethrower tanks towed fuel trailers to give them a useful combat load of fuel.

Recently, the flamethrower was replaced in western arsenals by rocket launchers (1-shot or reloadable) firing a projectile containing red or white phosphor that either burns on impact or exposure to oxygen. Examples would be the 1-shot HAFLA DM34 "Flammepatrone" and the reloadable US M202A1 "Flash" (Flame Assault SHoulder Weapon; actually used by Rae Dawn Chong in the move "Commando").

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...DM+34&offset=0

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-...r-Germany.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M202A1_FLASH

The "flamethrowers" in Car Wars are most likely related to the incendiary cartridges used in the more modern M202A1 and not the classic napalm-spewing M2 flamethrower of the past.

The CW flamethrower is relatively small cartridge about the size of a 35mm HALFA DM34 round. It contains napalm and an igniter, white or red phosphorous, or TPA (Thickened Pyrophoric Agent, which is an aluminum compound that spontaneously erupts with contact to air) along with a bursting charge. Perhaps with some kind of sabot that drops away to improve accuracy and velocity.

True to the not overly lethal nature of commercial dueling weapons, there is just enough flammable material to effect a small area, like a small part of a car's armour or a person. Not swaths of stadiums, roadways, buildings, forests, etc. Also, this small amount of burning material explains why you simply can't set large areas ablaze so your opponents must drive through them and set their wheels and under armour on fire.

Although previous CW artwork and preconception would suggest firing a flamethrower would result in either a long line of liquid or a burst of flame and smoke, it would probably more look like a small rocket that trails a line of smoke and explodes in a blossom of smoke and fire where it hits. Visually, throwing out "fireballs" visual as opposed to squirting a "flame blast".

I can't recall if firing a flamethrower causes a smokescreen or not, although I don't think this is the case in CW5e. If so this could simply be an effect of the propellant, or if it's a phosphor round the burst of smoke when fired is a side effect of the flammable material being exposed to air.

Tony,

Last edited by helbent4; 12-08-2009 at 11:22 PM.