Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #31
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: TFT custom dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I like the megahex design very much, but I suspect those fine lines would get lost . . .
That's where the factory enters the process. Every die we create, their engineers rework our design and propose what they feel will work best. We then discuss, when necessary, tweaking and adjusting until both sides are happy with the design.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #32
Mallen the dark

Love the megahex dice. Really don't see it working, but if it does, put me down for a bunch.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #33
Chris Rice

I quite like both designs, but I really only want them for the 1-spot. Dice at the end of the day have to be functional; I don't want to be struggling to figure out what I've rolled on them.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #34
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I quite like both designs, but I really only want them for the 1-spot. Dice at the end of the day have to be functional; I don't want to be struggling to figure out what I've rolled on them.
I agree completely. That's why I don't like most of those weird dice designs you see on Kickstarter, using abstract lines and geometry to represent numbers. I don't care how cool it looks if I have to remember the secret code to use it. (Plus, they're usually made of stuff like petrified wood, or titanium, or meteoric iron, or enchanted mithril or something, so they can charge $360 a pair for them.)

However, I don't mind an non-traditional design, so long as it still communicates the intended numbers effectively. And I think that the Megahex pattern does it well. Pips is pips. :)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:35 AM   #35
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
That's just the blackletter font 'Old English' though, which doesn't belong exclusively to SJG. They do have a trademark for the whole title "The Fantasy Trip", but that trademark presumably applies regardless of whether it's written in Old English or not. And I doubt very much they could get (or enforce) a trademark for just a T, or even 'TFT' in the same font.
Trademarks can be pure text, pure image, image of text in specific format, image of text with something else...

it's doable, if they want to do the paperwork...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #36
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Blackletter wasn't designed for a string of capitals, and (to me, at least) TFT looks clunky in blackletter caps. It is correct that we don't have an icon-style trademark right now

I agree, those double-six d12s are nice.

Just my 2 cents worth, twice.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #37
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The designs here are pre-factory review.
I like them both. The numbers would be usable almost anywhere -- hexes say "wargames" to me, because I'm just that old -- and I wouldn't mind having about six of each. But if I had to pick just one, I'd grab the megahex with dots for TFT. The megahex is about as strong an association as the Old English typeface in my mind.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #38
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The megahex is about as strong an association as the Old English typeface in my mind.
Stronger, for me. 'Old English' is (in this country, at least) the single most common blackletter font, used almost to the complete exclusion of any other — or so it seems to me — and I have seen it in far too many other contexts to associate it with TFT at all, really. (But maybe I'm just a Typography Nerd. Do they have such a thing? If they do, I probably qualify.)

The Megahex, though…? That's pretty much unique to TFT.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #39
Shostak

I like the megahex dice as seen in the schematic--seems pretty easy to read the faces. However the 2's and 3's blackened hexes would look better to my eye if they were on a diagonal, as per traditional d6 dice pips. Or, better yet, with the 3 would in a triangular formation.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #40
larsdangly

It has to be the MH dice! Unique, funky and iconically TFT. I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it look right at the scale of the dice.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote