Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #81
Original_Carl

Default Re: Current play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
How did you end up with an MA of 7?? I can't think off-hand of a combination of race/species, talents and gear that gives you that. Maybe through the encumbrance rules?
Had MA 8 and picked up a gold bar, so yes, encumbered.
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #82
Original_Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
Re: Animals rolling an 18 (drop/break weapon) in combat:
Basically, it loses an action as it reacts to the pain/surprise. Not quite the same as having to pick up a dropped weapon or try to draw a new one, but close enough.
Simple, elegant. I like the lose the next action on 17-18 for tooth and claw.
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #83
ParadoxGames

Quote:
If you're new to the system, or easing yourself back into it, that's a great approach. The game is seriously fun as a gladiatorial skirmish system, so it's hardly a punishment to just focus on that side of things for a few sessions until you have it all down. The roleplaying game will always be there waiting for you when you are ready!
I am completely new to TFT so that's why we do a lot of tactical skirmishing: to get used to the system.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #84
larsdangly

This evening's short-game amusement: A 'rumble'! This is my name for an all vs. all fight to the last one standing. They are surprisingly fun because tactical decision making changes quite a bit over time: one turn you will do best to effectively cooperate with someone in a nearby engagement, the next you'll do better to just avoid everyone, the next you will stab your former 'friend' in the back. It's all pretty exciting. I'll post later to let you know how it goes!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #85
Mike P.

[QUOTE=Original_Carl;2262942]
3. What happens when a bear (or giant snake, or a slime, etc.) rolls an 18? Does it break a claw? How does an animal/monster drop and/or break its weapon if it's not carrying a weapon?

"A roll of 17 or 18 is an automatic miss for an animal or a bare-handed fighter. Furthermore, he hurts himself in the attack, and takes 1 die damage (regardless of armor or magical protection)." ITL p. 108
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #86
ParadoxGames

Earlier in the thread maps and potential adventures were discussed.

I noticed that hex maps are hard to find online, so I made a few. This is one of them. It's intended to be claustrophobic, where 1 hex is one space, but if you want large caverns, make one hex = 1 megahex. It's unstocked so you can load it up as you wish, and no explanation is provided as to how to get to rooms 13 and 14. That's your mystery to solve.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen..._01_BW_640.jpg

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 05-25-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: misnumbered rooms.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #87
larsdangly

That's fun! Who made it?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #88
JLV

Quote:
That's fun! Who made it?
I'm pretty sure that's HIS work... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #89
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm pretty sure that's HIS work... ;-)
Yes, I meant to say that. I designed the map so that people searching online for hex maps could finally find one! If your latest adventure is in this map (I think of it as a cave), post the details here. I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 05-26-2019 at 05:14 AM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #90
mstlaurent

I'll contribute. I actually bought TFT to introduce my youngest child to RPGs. My wife and two oldest play GURPS already, but I wanted something simpler for my youngest (who is 8) to start out on. (Plus, you know, I did play Melee and Wizard back in the day, so there is some nostalgia there....)

So, we ran a bunch of starter games to get a good feel for it. Started with Melee, first with the pre-gen characters and then making our own. Then added Wizard. Couple of head-to-head, couple of groups ganging up on the big creatures. Then we went into Death Test a couple of times. By then I think we had the hang of it.

For a campaign, I actually didn't go with Cidri. I love the old TSR Greyhawk setting and adventures, so I decided to just adapt those on the fly. For the first campaign I chose The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's been going really well so far, they're almost at the end of Village of Hommlet.

Two things of note:

1. It's very easy for wizards to get in a rut summoning or making illusions of bears. They're highly effective. I've been working on ways to wean our two wizards off of that crutch without being too obvious about it.

2. Throughout our learning phase, my two oldest always seemed to have a problem underestimating their DX requirements. They always seemed to wind up with hulking fighters with big scary weapons that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. When we got to the campaign, my middle learned his lesson. He wound up with a fighter with a moderate ST and a high DX who, after armor adjustment, winds up hitting on a fairly regular basis. (Who also happens to be dumb as a post. Hilarity has ensued.) My oldest just couldn't resist the thrall of all those shiny talents. His IQ is as high as the wizards. His ST and DX are not the greatest. So he's always clamoring for more XP so he can up his fighting prowess.

It has been loads of fun. So glad we picked it up.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote