Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Flipping through one of my old folders, I noticed something about the range calculations for airplanes and helicopters: They are Badly Off.

For example: I have a fighter design, the _Adler_ ("Eagle"). It has a Super Acft. plant, giving it [50 x 16 =] 800 Power Units [PU] total. It has a top speed of 447.5 MPH; assuming "cruise speed" is 60% of top speed (more on this later), it cruises at 267.5 MPH. If one plugs these values into the "PU-per-mile" formula, one gets:

(800 x (267.5 - 75)) / (10,000 x (447.5 / 240)) = 8.26 PU/mi.

which means it has a range at cruise of only 100 miles, and falls out of the air after 30 minutes.

Similarly, the _Kugelblitz_ ("Ball Lightning"), with a Small Acft. plant [500 PU] and TS of 342.5 MPH (205 MPH cruise):

(500 x (205 - 75)) / (10,000 x (342.5 / 240)) = 4.55 PU/mi.

which isn't much more than 100 miles at cruise, and similarly short duration.

Not helping: In Reality, an airplane's "cruise speed" is 80-90% of top speed, not 60%.

Given even the really small LSAs and trainers have ranges and endurances closer to two hours and 300 miles at "cruise" (which, as noted, is much faster than what _CW_ lists), I'm thinking the range calculations are in desperate need of a Rethink. Perhaps something closer to the gasburners' "MPG" figure, with adjustments depending how far above|below cruise on is?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Don't think the actual rules went too in depth . I haven't the AeroDuel book with me , but off top of my head , most Electric PP Planes have a 'Cruising Range' of 400 Miles & a range at Max Speed of about 200 Miles .
Perhaps halve the power consumption for fixed wing Aircraft & Autogyros as motor's Fly Wheels constantly adjusting/cutting out when aircraft has adequate economical lift ?

Unfortunately the main writer seems to have multiple problems with maths & contradicts himself in the same product ... It's been mentioned before ( on here ? ) , that he apparently handwrote his '1s' and '2s' almost identically ! Guy who knew of him personally stated that was probably main reason why he'd been audited by the IRS .
Twice !

Both AreoDuel & CarWars: Tanks need massive overhauls & expansion with all the new tech , information & flying vehicles now available being reflected .

Good luck wishing for that ! ;-)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Unfortunately the main writer seems to have multiple problems with maths & contradicts himself in the same product ... It's been mentioned before ( on here ? ) , that he apparently handwrote his '1s' and '2s' almost identically ! Guy who knew of him personally stated that was probably main reason why he'd been audited by the IRS .
Twice !
Of course if you ask him, it may only be once.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Of course if you ask him, it may only be once.
Laughing myself silly at that one ! And probably very true to !! :-D
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Don't think the actual rules went too in depth . I haven't the AeroDuel book with me , but off top of my head , most Electric PP Planes have a 'Cruising Range' of 400 Miles & a range at Max Speed of about 200 Miles .
I do have mine at-hand -- besides the formulae, nothing is said about ranges.

Quote:
Perhaps halve the power consumption for fixed wing Aircraft & Autogyros as motor's Fly Wheels constantly adjusting/cutting out when aircraft has adequate economical lift ?
I was considering something a bit simpler -- in essence: Each power plant gives a certain range at Cruise Speed, with bonuses|penalties depending on how far above|below CS one is. For ex.: The Super Airplane plant might provide 800 mi. range at whatever the plane's Cruise Speed is; down to 1/2 that for traveling at Maximum Speed; and 150% range if it's kept at half of Cruise. The Small Airplane plant, being smaller might only provide a Cruise range of 500 mi. In PU terms, that would be "1 PU/mile at Cruise; 2 PU/mi. at Max.; 2/3 PU/mi. at half-Cruise."

Quote:
Twice !
I also have experience of dealing with that writer -- and that's all I have to say about *that*....

Quote:
Both AreoDuel & CarWars: Tanks need massive overhauls & expansion with all the new tech , information & flying vehicles now available being reflected .
Indeed -- heck, even *cars* in _CW_ are appallingly short-legged considering what "actual" 2018 EVs are doing these days (ranges of 300 mi. at cruise, and that's electrical-only).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote