Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #61
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Stagnation in Road Combat Designs .

I think I'm thinking of VFRPs. Though I did see a design with laws mounted up front … I'm probably confusing the two.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 AM   #62
Racer

In Crossbows and Chassis you could mount hand weapons in articulated mounts . It was mainly SMGs , as items like LAWs were considered Very Rare etc .
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #63
swordtart

Nothing to stop you fitting articulated mounts in more modern vehicles and use the full range of weapons.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #64
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
In Crossbows and Chassis you could mount hand weapons in articulated mounts . It was mainly SMGs , as items like LAWs were considered Very Rare etc .
It may have been a "rich warlord's" C&C design.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #65
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Having several Triple Barreled Gyroluggers stored in a Pickup's bed , loaded with 2x AP Ammo & a single Paint load can cause havoc at point blank range ! Have the Passenger(s) handling them duck down until the last second & pop up as your overtaking/being passed by the target . Hit it in multiple phases & often it will lose control & possibly crash - those Hazards mount rapidly against non Oversized Vehicles .
This only works with passengers who have Handgunner skill -- I have seen at first-hand what happens when a Driver with no HG skill tries to use one. >:) [ http://novacw.com/nm10-1.htm -- see "DKI Corporate Challenge Rematch Round 5: _Rhino_ vs. _Massacre_ ]

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #66
hal

I'm curious. Has anyone ever developed rules for change in road elevation along with rules for obscuring line of sight for roads?

For instance, how many people who have driven, have ever climbed up a hill with their car while at posted speed limit, and seen at the crest of the hill what amounts to a Y intersection a VERY short distance from the crest?

Ever drive through the Pittsburg region of PA to find yourself driving with a lot of hairpin turns dips and rises in the road where the constant up and down sensation can lull you into a form of hypnosis into thinking that the road isn't really visible to the eye more than 100 feet ahead?

Then there are fogs to consider, lush greenery that has been wild with no one to tend to them, or even my favorite: Roads that suddenly rise over a crest, drop a STEEP incline down - at the bottom of which is a creek that the road sharply turns away from to run parallel with.

None of these terrains seem to be simulated on any car wars roads. Having the road rise and dip unpredictably would also result in hazards when travelled over at high speeds (which is why a lot of highways have posted speed limits for the safety of the driver).

Yes, you need a flat table top to have your car wars game on - but rises, dips, and even (one of my favorite ohmygod!!!! moments was driving over pavement that the creek near by had undermined...)

So, you want your cars to be different? Then put them in terrain that is more "real" than what your car wards universe tends to be set in.

Then go one step further. Unless people in the Car Wars have bumper stickers on their fighting cars that read "My other car is a family sedan" - many of these optimized vehicles tend to NOT be useful for day to day driving needs. Why not include specifications along the lines of "Must have room enough to handle domestic driving needs" and then specify how much trun space these vehicles need, or how much cargo space they require to be useful for a family.

;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 AM   #67
swordtart

We discussed utility vehicles in this thread.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=family&page=4

We specifically discussed family cars in this one.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=family

And to be honest we probably already covered the OP in this one.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=family

Nothin' to see here folks... move along ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #68
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I'm curious. Has anyone ever developed rules for change in road elevation along with rules for obscuring line of sight for roads?
There are rules for such things; but as they tend to add complexity, I rarely see them used. More often, the rule for road duels is "no LoS off the road section" (that is: If LoS is outside of the road or run-off area, one cannot shoot the target).

Back in the '90s, NOVA had a series of scenarios set in various weather and environmental conditions (everything from snow to earthquakes); it didn't go anywhere, for multiple reasons -- one of which was: It added complication without adding to enjoyment.

Quote:
Then there are fogs to consider,
IMSMC: Fog is -3 TH.

None of these terrains seem to be simulated on any car wars roads. Having the road rise and dip unpredictably would also result in hazards when travelled over at high speeds (which is why a lot of highways have posted speed limits for the safety of the driver).

Quote:
Unless people in the Car Wars have bumper stickers on their fighting cars that read "My other car is a family sedan" - many of these optimized vehicles tend to NOT be useful for day to day driving needs. Why not include specifications along the lines of "Must have room enough to handle domestic driving needs" and then specify how much trun space these vehicles need, or how much cargo space they require to be useful for a family.
I actually tried running some "practical vehicle" duels back'n'th'day -- my rule was "vehicle needed dedicated cargo space; minimum 100 lbs. per cargo space" (ex.: a Wagon would have to devote at least 700 lbs. to "cargo"). If someone wanted to bring a vehicle sans dedicated cargo space, he still had to reserve 1/3 of the vehicle's spaces for "cargo" (ex.: a Luxury would have to devote 6 spaces and 600 lbs. to cargo). I went with 100 lbs./sp. as that was the value for a "long-distance" passenger seat; I figured it was "1 sp./150 lbs. for the passenger; 1 sp./50 lbs. for his 12 GEs luggage" :) .

Sadly: No one much wanted to be in such events, as cargo capacity subtracted from valuable "stuff which goes BOOM" space and weight. :P

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #69
Blue Ghost

We used modifiers in my old group way back in high school. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area and emulating various locations around the bay, you had to. I won't go into specifics, but we fought nearly everywhere from Marin down to San Jose, and in San Francisco where hills are pretty steep.

I can't say it effected our designs too much, which is what this thread is for. And the modifiers weren't that extreme or excessive, and fighting in remote forest roads up in the Santa Cruz mountains, I can't recall anything that was … I don't know … I can't recall modifiers that effected the game too much, for what it's worth.

Eh, funny anecdote, we were playing a scenario out of an ADQ, and some guy forgot he was on an incomplete overpass that was something like five stories high. So, when he drover over and asked what that dotted line was for … oops. He and his vehicle plummeted to the pavement below. No modifiers :)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #70
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Sadly: No one much wanted to be in such events, as cargo capacity subtracted from valuable "stuff which goes BOOM" space and weight. :P
Hence Car Wars and not Cargo Wars. ;)
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
road combat designs