Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
WyvernKing

Default G.E.V. unit tactics

I'm finding G.E.V. units (especially regular and light G.E.V.s) under perform compared to any of the tracked units. I've played both Mark III/V attack as well as cease fire collapse scenarios and I find that regardless of what I'm facing I fare better in the game if I take few or no G.E.V.s.The only situation I've found them useful for is hounding Ogres with damaged treads, but even then they probably wouldn't be my first choice for the job.

What am I missing with G.E.V.s? What sort of situations do they shine in? What sort of force compositions do you use in scenarios where all the choices are left to you?
WyvernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: G.E.V. unit tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernKing View Post
What am I missing with G.E.V.s? What sort of situations do they shine in? What sort of force compositions do you use in scenarios where all the choices are left to you?
Terrain will kick a GEV where it hurts -- having to pause at every stream hexside; badly slowed by anything which isn't flatland; etc. If there's lots of Forest hexes, and/or Streams, avoid GEVs. Maps with lots of Water, and/or Flatland, GEVs are a decent selection.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
woodchuck

Shoot and scoot, if you're not using GEV's secondary movement you're miss using them. You want to strike fast, pull back, and then move in to strike again. They also work best when you use them is packs and don't stack them if you can help it.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
WyvernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
They also work best when you use them is packs
About how many would you recommend in a pack?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
HeatDeath

The core underlying concepts to good GEV use [and really the game as a whole] are "strike distance" and "retreat distance".

The strike distance of a unit is the sum of its movement and its range [first movement for a GEV]. So, for example, a GEV's strike range is 6, and a heavy tank's strike range is 5. If you are within strike range of a unit, it means you are vulnerable because you can be attacked by that unit this turn.

Retreat distance is the sum of a unit's range, and how far it can move after firing. For most units this is the same as the unit's range, since most units can't move after firing. For a GEV, it is 5. This is the range a unit can get to after having fired on you.

Note that terrain will modify the strike range and retreat range of units, and tread unit damage will reduce the strike range of an Ogre.

GEVs really come into their own when attacking units under circumstances where the target's strike range is smaller than the GEV's retreat range. When you can achieve this, your GEVs can attack without being counterattacked at all, which is /the/ recipe for tactical victory.

Example, an Ogre that has lost one movement, and all weapons except SBs and APs, is spectacularly vulnerable to GEVs, since it has a strike range of 4, and GEVs have a retreat range of 5. this means the GEVs can swoop into range 2, attack, and retreat to outside the Ogre's strike range.

Pro-tip: even if you cannot get all of your GEVs out of strike range of their target during the retreat movement, you can disperse them in different directions such that the target is in strike range to at most one of them. Then you regroup the others and do another hit-and-fade.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 03-10-2021 at 10:01 AM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
WyvernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Terrain will kick a GEV where it hurts -- having to pause at every stream hexside; badly slowed by anything which isn't flatland; etc. If there's lots of Forest hexes, and/or Streams, avoid GEVs. Maps with lots of Water, and/or Flatland, GEVs are a decent selection.
I've been playing on G1, which might explain why I haven't been able to use G.E.V.s as effectively as other units
Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
HeatDeath

Quote:
Even two will work. The trick is to retreat them in different directions so the target can chase after and do a followup counterattack on, at most, one of them. Never swoop your GEVs into strike range of an opponent without a plan on how to swoop most of them back out.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
WyvernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Even two will work. The trick is to retreat them in different directions so the target can chase after and do a followup counterattack on, at most, one of them. Never swoop your GEVs into strike range of an opponent without a plan on how to swoop most of them back out.
So, if I'm understanding correctly, a strategy for G.E.V.s against a force of enemy armour units would be to fire and fade in multiple directions in the hopes of splitting their force up and reducing their opprotunities for combine fire, all while reducing my causalties by keeping my units away from each other, yeah?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
HeatDeath

Quote:
So, if I'm understanding correctly, a strategy for G.E.V.s against a force of enemy armour units would be to fire and fade in multiple directions in the hopes of splitting their force up and reducing their opprotunities for combine fire, all while reducing my causalties by keeping my units away from each other, yeah?
I do believe you have got it surrounded! :)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
woodchuck

Quote:
Ideally enough to give your attacks better than 1 to 1 odds. 3 or more in most cases.