Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
hal

Default Re: Talents adding directly to Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Ah. Good. I was of the mind it wasn't kosher. I'll probably slot in a different skill there, like Urban Survival (Abandoned Buildings) instead.

You might want to double check Basic pg 89 and read the last line of Talents again.
Good point. Problem is, short of GM intervention, there is nothing to prevent someone from building two five point per level talents, spending 40 points total for the two advantages that allow the player to have a +8 stat bonus for any one or two skills.

Take for example, the ability to pick an IQ stat of 12, and then take Born Soldier, and A toned down version of Born War Leader. By toned down, remove two skills from the list to meet the requirement of only have 6 skills in the talent, driving the price down to 5 points per level instead of 10 points per level.

By my count - the ability to have two talents each offering a +4 bonus instead of only one talent offering a max of +4 bonus, requires that the methodology of getting the two skills up to Stat + Talent + 4 versus Stat + Talent 1 + Talent 2 becomes:

Stat + Talent 1 + 11 points = Stat + Talent 1 + Talent 2 costing only 20 points

That saves the player 2 points. That's only when considering an overlap of two skills. It becomes more efficient if there is an overlap of three skills.

Again - my "opinion" isn't intended to convey any "this is how it should be" other than I look at it as a way to do an end run, one in which I'd say "nice try, but that violates the spirit of the intent to limit talent bonus to +4". Yes the rules specifically allow for two talents to stack, which I did point out above that it doesn't prohibit it. It just smacks of "double dipping" to me.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Bruno

Default Re: Talents adding directly to Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You might want to double check Basic pg 89 and read the last line of Talents again.
Power Ups 3, page 4:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Ups 3, Page 4
Limits on Talent Level
The standard limit on Talent is four levels. However, Talents
can overlap to give skill bonuses in excess of +4. If you possess
two levels in each of three Talents that influence Singing, then
you get +6 to Singing, even though you could get only +4 from
any one of those Talents. Reaction and learning-speed bonuses
can’t exceed those for four levels of Talent, though.
For exceptions to these rules, see Extended Talents (pp. 21-22)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote