Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Ultra Tech Stingrays and Surge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
D. So against a robot, any damage will call for an HT roll to avoid stun, 1/3 or more of its HP requires a roll to avoid shorting out and being disabled, and a critical hit will knock them unconscious with no roll to resist. All that's pretty worthwhile, I'd say, especially if you can get rapid-fire weapons and fire bursts of stingrays, requiring the above HT rolls for every bullet that hits.
Yes, but he problem is that even a 40mm Stingray only does 2D of lethat electrical damage. If your target robot is DR6 or less you might as well just kill it with bullets. Or even a large hammer.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Don't forget that stingrays do lethal electrical damage (Ultra-Tech specifically references the Basic section that covers this, too), which has its own consequences independent of whether it's a robot you're hitting or not: they have to make an HT roll, at a penalty based on the damage inflicted, or be stunned (I'm assuming that a stingray counts as "localized" damage). So against a robot, any damage will call for an HT roll to avoid stun, 1/3 or more of its HP requires a roll to avoid shorting out and being disabled, and a critical hit will knock them unconscious with no roll to resist. All that's pretty worthwhile, I'd say, especially if you can get rapid-fire weapons and fire bursts of stingrays, requiring the above HT rolls for every bullet that hits.

But the alternative is a 7d(10) TBB or so through HEAT, HEDP, or HEMP. It does more damage and is more likely to stun via knockdown even with 30 DR. The only way to make them even would be to add TBB to the live of things unliving protects against.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Rupert

Ultra-Tech's Shaped Charges do crushing incendiary damage, and therefore technically can't target the vitals, etc. HEMP at 25mm and above is the same (and below that is impaling). HT is similar.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote