Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Emergence of Supers Timeline

You are also likely going to have supers who lack any malevolence but cause massive problems. Imagine a teenage girl who develops Terror 10 (Awe; Sight; Always On, -20%; Based on HT, +20%; Super, -10%) [117]. Until she learns to control her ability, only blind (or blinded) people can safely approach her, as everyone else becomes her devoted slaves, at least until their psyche disintegrates under her influence. A government will find it easier to bomb her location rather than to allow her to live, as her power is far too disruptive to an ordered society.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Thank you so far...anyone else? This helping me prepare and sort out possible mistakes and chaos.
Assuming that the debut of supers is something more positive than "Supers, Threat or Menace" opening you started with, one idea I've had was Warner Brothers and Disney each sponsoring a superteam in return for the image rights.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #13
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Assuming that the debut of supers is something more positive than "Supers, Threat or Menace" opening you started with, one idea I've had was Warner Brothers and Disney each sponsoring a superteam in return for the image rights.

I would like to perhaps make it more positive...ideas?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

A super dying to protect mundanes from another super may make many think that only supers can effectively fight supers, and that they're still human not demonic demigods.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I would like to perhaps make it more positive...ideas?
When I came up with this idea I fired the starting gun on 9/11 and had Urban Legend flying in and out of the windows of the WTC rescuing people trapped by the fire dressed in a body glove and goggles. Foiling terrorists or rescuing someone trapped at the bottom of a deep hole, that's the kind of thing that would give an initial surge of good publicity that would make people accommodating toward the more well-intentioned supers. For greater ambiguity...just don't kill anyone in the first super battle.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
Extrarius

I think that for at least the first day, most people would think it was some kind of advertising stunt for an in-production movie, amusement park ride, or some other kind of special effects to promote something.

I think the local police would be on the scene within <normal response time to emergency calls in the area> and would start blocking the area off and sending their forensic teams in to find out what happened. Initially, some kind of gas explosion and/or power grid surge would be investigated as the primary possibilities (by local police, at least).

I agree with others that federal agencies would get involved quickly (certainly the FBI, perhaps the BATFE {because, you know, "alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives" is a tight, cohesive group of things that need to be regulated and policed together by a single agency}), but that just means a few agents might show up a day or two after the local police find some kind of forensic evidence that the event was not caused by mundane effects. There probably wouldn't really be a "team" until the federal forensics lab gets results a week or two after the initial federal agents show up (depending on how many other serious cases are in the queue).

I expect that as soon as the videos hit the internet, the US's hydra of intelligence groups would quickly assign at least one person to investigate the videos for signs of CGI, indications it was some kind of special effects (or terrorist attack plus special effects to make it more terrifying), etc. The person might run background/etc checks on a random sampling of people that posted videos to see if there is some kind of connection (multiple people getting odd large deposits that day or whatever other link you might think of).

Once people (civilian, law enforcement, intelligence community, etc) realize it was real, I imagine not much would really change. It seems likely that all forces of authority (each law enforcement group, each intelligence group, each group in our military, etc) would start trying to recruit people with powers if they were common and useful enough to be worth the extra trouble. Congress might pass some laws regulating use of powers, but I kind of doubt it given that the incident only killed 3 people (untrained people kill more than that in mass shootings at schools, churches, bars, and anywhere else people gather). In order for there to be enough motivation for politicians to actually do something, the death and destruction would need to be closer to the scale of 9/11. Without it being some kind of attack against the country (in an "obvious" way), there doesn't seem to be much to encourage congresspeople to cooperate.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #17
AlexanderHowl

What happens if a person with powers commits a horrific crime in public during the emergence period? For example, let us say that a person who recently developed mind control forces a prominent business person, elected official, military officer, etc to admit to perceived crimes in a public venue before grabbing the weapon off a nearby security person and using it to commit suicide on national TV. Before the emergence of supers, the authorities and the media would chalk it up to drug use and mental problems. With the emergence of supers though, people would start wondering if supers were involved in some way and, when it came out that supers were involved, then the public would start clamoring for protection.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote