Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
tanksoldier

Default Re: Regular Asgardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Valkyrie could press 45 tons. She was as strong and tough as an out of water and dry Namor. But remember, she was an elite warrior with a magic sword.
In the comics. In the MCU she appears much less powerful.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

If we're going to really "over-analyze" them, is it really sensible to have them weigh on the order of 600 lbs? That will cause problems in many places that I don't comic versions ever experience.
(I admit I'm not very knowledgeable on comics, so if it is mentioned, I apologize and would like to learn more.)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
So maybe 3x the tissue, mass etc but 2x the calorie consumption?
That's at least one possible answer that makes some sort of sense.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #24
Phantasm

Quote:
In the comics. In the MCU she appears much less powerful.
She sparred with the Hulk on Sakaar on a regular basis, or so it was implied, so I'd say she was fairly strong compared to most others. True, we didn't see her flinging around undead like Thor, but she was certainly stronger than the typical Asgardian. Class 40-Class 50 isn't inconceivable for MCU!Valkyrie - or MCU!Heimdall for that matter.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #25
Bengt

Quote:
...but where do her attributes and skills lie compared to humans and Asgardian royals? Somewhere in the middle, but where?

I'm assuming Heimdall was given his sight by Odin using some kind of Asgardian magic/tech. In the MCU he doesn't seem to be part of the royal family. Heimdall and Valkyrie otherwise seem near the top end of human maximums, as does Loki when he's fighting with his daggers.
Do you want to model the movies or the comics?

In the comics Heimdall (and his sister Sif) are not (closely) related to Odins family, but they are still on the same tier. IDK if their exact relationship has been stated anywhere, but Sif and Thor are on and off lovers and though gods boning their siblings and what have you was standard in myths the writers probably don't want to squick out our modern sensibilities. :)
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #26
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Do you want to model the movies or the comics?

In the comics Heimdall (and his sister Sif) are not (closely) related to Odins family, but they are still on the same tier. IDK if their exact relationship has been stated anywhere, but Sif and Thor are on and off lovers and though gods boning their siblings and what have you was standard in myths the writers probably don't want to squick out our modern sensibilities. :)
In the Eddas, Sif is Thor's wife, but she's not related to Heimdall; Heimdall is Thor's half-brother (they share a father, but while Heimdall's mother is Frigga, Thor's mother is Fjorgyn (aka Jord). In fact, I don't think Sif's parentage was mentioned at all in the Eddas.

In the comics, Sif and Heimdall are siblings while Thor's parentage is the same (Frigga is still married to Odin, but not Thor's real mother). Sif and Thor have an on-again-off-again relationship, but Thor also has relationships with Jane Foster and Amora. Thor's mother Jord is actually Gaea, the primordial Earth goddess who is also the progenitor of nearly every other pantheon.

In the MCU, Heimdall and Sif don't appear to be related at all (it's never commented on by either), Sif and Thor are long-time friends and while Sif looks like she'd like to take things farther Thor seems oblivious. Thor also has a relationship with Jane Foster and it seems Brunnhilde may be the new love interest.

Thor is heads and tails above the rest, strength-wise, but Sif and Heimdall are still among the Asgardian "super-heroes".

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #27
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
In the Eddas, Sif is Thor's wife, but she's not related to Heimdall; Heimdall is Thor's half-brother (they share a father, but while Heimdall's mother is Frigga, Thor's mother is Fjorgyn (aka Jord). In fact, I don't think Sif's parentage was mentioned at all in the Eddas.
From what I've read Heimdall was born of nine mothers. No mention of Frigg as his mother. This from the Eddas

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #28
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
From what I've read Heimdall was born of nine mothers. No mention of Frigg as his mother. This from the Eddas
Brainfart on my end, due to it being so late. Odin is the boys' father, tho, so they're still half-brothers. :)