Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Gurps $, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Yeah, that'll teach me to repeat a factoid I've heard on this forum over and over and over and over and over...
Yeah... I know it's been said repeatedly... this time however I'd just happened to have noticed that prices in Orcslayer were identical to the Basic book (I've been toying with running Orcslayer recently) and I decided to check my Man to Man prices just on a hunch...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
Celjabba

Between local variations (by up to ×100 or more if you look worldwide) for similar items/CoL/income and price fluctuations over time... Any list will by definition be innacurate.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #23
DanHoward

Underlying inflation is a better reflection of the increased cost of living than CPI.

Income will give you a more accurate comparison than Cost of Living. Instead of trying to compare the cost of items, such as a loaf of bread, it would be better to look at a week's wages for various jobs today and compare them to those in GURPS Jobs tables.

Last edited by DanHoward; 07-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
$100 in 1985 has the purchasing value of $234 in 2018 (https:// http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation...=100&year=1985).
Which is to the actual accuracy of any printed price list more or less equal. Nobody's prices are accurate to better than a factor of two, because real world prices for any single thing are never that stable. There's a reason inflation "measures" are all *large* baskets of goods with rules about exactly when and where you price them, they have to be to extract a moderately stable number from your data.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #25
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
* Armor prices have changed... but even those (in Basic) are still very close to the original 1985 prices.
And as they're for low tech armour, given how GURPS' pricing works, they tell us nothing about what year GURPS' prices for modern equipment was pegged to, if any. One would need to check the prices of modern equipment, preferably stuff that's commonly available in stores, and not weapons or armour.

Of course when it comes down to it, a simple eyeballing by the GM is as good as anything, given how variable pricing can be, and how some items can change in price compared to others - in the next few months and years it is likely that many items will become more expensive in both the US and elsewhere, and not because of inflation, but for purely political reasons.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Extrarius

Consider that in current times, I and a coworker can do the same work for the same wages for the same employer over the same period and still have vastly different effective income due to massive variations in local cost of living.

In south Texas, I can afford to live in a 4-bedroom house that I bought (with a mortgage I'll be paying on for a while) within a few minutes drive from my workplace (maybe up to 15 minutes during typical peak times and up to 30 minutes worst case with multiple crashes along my short route). In the northeast US, people working on the same project for similar wages often have to drive 45+ minutes to work during off-peak times if they live in a house (which they're more likely renting).
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #27
Celjabba

Gurps quote a TL8 smartphone at 250$
The shop down the street have smartphones (full price, no contract) from 75 to 1000$, with most between 150 and 350$ and you can find much cheaper in third world countries.

If you look at, for example, a elementary school teacher, he may earn from 70 to 5000 $ / month, depending on the country. Gurps would place it at between 2100$ and 3600$ (assuming it is an average wealth job).

I have paid from .20 $ to 20 $ for an average breakfast, just by travelling between European countries. Gurps quote $6, iirc.

I would say that Gurps doesn't do that bad, for generic estimate :)

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-11-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote