Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
copeab

Default Re: What Trait For Not Sensing Pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Even if it's just the pain receptors that don't work and the rest of the nervous system is fine, the GM has licence to make this go horribly wrong for the PC.

Also, if it's whole body, there should be impressive potential for overexertion injuries and similar delights.
It is. Children with the genetic disorder can break bones or burn themselves but not feel it, so must be closely monitored. OTOH, they have a normal sense of touch.

I can't find my writeup (it was 20 years ago), but I think I made it -5 or -10 points; High Pain Threshold plus a bunch of significant downsides.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:40 AM   #22
scc

Default Re: What Trait For Not Sensing Pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk >.>

Golem limbs are a thing that pop up regularly, so depending on the DF world an "obviously cybernetic" arm may be easy to pass off as a golem arm to non-wizards ("My magery senses are not tingling. Wat?")
One arm or leg, maybe, if it's possible/done in the setting, but all four? That's likely getting you a Appearance(Monstrous) and Social Stigma (Monster). Replacement eyes, ears, and nose aren't going to earn you many friends either, and speak not to me of the person who went for obvious full-body dermal armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Honestly, not feeling pain is a big deal and won't be cheap for anything that costs CP. You could add any of the following on top of HPT + Numb to help bring down the price:

Bad Grip
Ham-Fisted
Klutz
Neurological Disorder
Noisy
Epilepsy*

* Results in your limb having a seizure, not your entire body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Even if it's just the pain receptors that don't work and the rest of the nervous system is fine, the GM has licence to make this go horribly wrong for the PC.

Also, if it's whole body, there should be impressive potential for overexertion injuries and similar delights.
Probably not just pain but clearly biggest downside to these sorts of limbs.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote