Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Extrarius

Default Can't Let Go (as often described for cursed magic equipment)

I'm rewatching The Color of Magic, and at one point, there is an intelligent sword that drags a character around, as the sword moves (with some kind of hovering) and the character is unable to release their grip on the sword.

Intelligent items are often built as allies, and for allies, the point cost is relevant.

How would you stat the ability to (optionally) prevent somebody from letting go once they grab you? It kind of seems like Binding(Aura, Unbreakable, No Signature, Selective Effect), but I'm not sure that covers everything. Perhaps also a limitation to represent that it is only triggered by a "grab" and not just any contact?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Can't Let Go (as often described for cursed magic equipment)

You could model it simply as the item grabbing the victim. Ie. give the item a ST score and let it hold unto people. This is especially fitting if the item can drag people around as you describe.
It would mean people could break free with brute force though. Unless you give it extreme ST.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Extrarius

Default Re: Can't Let Go (as often described for cursed magic equipment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You could model it simply as the item grabbing the victim. Ie. give the item a ST score and let it hold unto people. This is especially fitting if the item can drag people around as you describe.
It would mean people could break free with brute force though. Unless you give it extreme ST.
I suppose that works for the specific case of a sword, but what about a quarterstaff that could hold any number of people grabbing it at the same time, or a human that can trap any limb that grabs them (and perhaps make advantageous use of it on their next turn)?

I want to find a basic generalized version if possible. Thinking about it, a limited Engulfing (only applying to trapped limbs, not whole character) might be another thing to add to the binding approach.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote