Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
weso12

Default Most trivial quirk, most useful perk, least useful perk, and most severe quirk.

So I kind of want a guide line of what counts as a quirk or a perk for example I want to be say "If the ability is at least as benefical as X but no more useful then Y it counts as a perk" or "if the disadvantage is at least as penalizing as x but no more penalizing than y it counts as a quirk"

I'd argue for the most trivial quirk I'd go with something like "Dislikes Carrots", for least useful perk I'd go with "High-Heeled Heroine" because the character could easily just not wear high-heels and never have to worry about the penalty, I guess if you're trying to save turn of taking off the heels for a female character at formal event that suddenly turned into combat it's slightly useful, but simply declaring your character was wearing flats would fly with most GMs and I don't think the movement for wearing heels is ever specified anywhere.

For most severe quirk, I guess Incompetence (Driving) in a setting where everybody needs to drive but then again just have someone drive for you and never have to work about it..

IDK what is the best Perk though

Anyone have any ideas for any of these would be nice.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Most trivial quirk, most useful perk, least useful perk, and most severe quirk.

It depends on your game, but in the right genres weapon bond can be a really powerful perk.

Least powerful perk is probably one of those cinematic clothing perks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
PK

Default Re: Most trivial quirk, most useful perk, least useful perk, and most severe quirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
So I kind of want a guide line of what counts as a quirk or a perk for example I want to be say "If the ability is at least as benefical as X but no more useful then Y it counts as a perk" or "if the disadvantage is at least as penalizing as x but no more penalizing than y it counts as a quirk"
IMO, this will vary by setting. For example, I've run some games in which being a casual killer is just a quirk, while in others it's a full-blown Social Stigma or negative Reputation.

Quote:
For most severe quirk, I guess Incompetence (Driving) in a setting where everybody needs to drive but then again just have someone drive for you and never have to work about it..
Thing is, I know many people who have this and it doesn't hurt them at all, because they live in a major city and it's easier to just take public transportation everywhere.

And if you have Incompetence for a skill that's truly ubiquitous and really, really matters in the setting, that's actually Social Stigma (Uneducated).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Best Perks IMO:

Off-Hand Weapon Training, Shield Wall Training, and Fur.

Most trivial Quirks I've seen someone actually put on a character sheet:

Dislikes bugs, likes bread, likes water (all on the same character to reinforce him as bizarrely bland). He was imprisoned once and stayed in mostly of his own free will, intentionally reinforcing the walls with his Masonry skill instead of taking advantage of obvious weakpoints to escape.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Kalzazz

I have never seen a DM work 'dislikes carrots' into a game I've played in, which is annoying, since its amusing
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I have never seen a DM work 'dislikes carrots' into a game I've played in, which is annoying, since its amusing
I've managed to work "dislikes herring" into a campaign, but of course that's completely different.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Well, carrots are the very first example of 'other things you can dislike'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
dwightemarsh

Hmmm. I had a character for a one shot who had the quirk "Dislikes raw carrots" Then I had then stuck in the past and they were naked int he barn with carrots.

Also, in a different one shot, I gave two characters "Dislikes talking vegetables." Not that they met any talking vegetables in the one shot (though talking vegetables certainly exist in the setting" but one player mentioned his dislike for them and the other agreed, and it gave them something to bond over.
dwightemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 AM   #9
Ultraviolet

Aren't Quirks supposed to be disallow as passive ones like 'wears black'? IMHO a like or dislike for carrots is the same. Quirks should be colourful, fun and come up once in a while. If wearing black or your attitude towards carrots occasionally becomes relevant, then go for it, otherwise IMHO not.

I agree that Incompetence with a skill widely used in a given setting or society can be among the worst.

In my Cliffhanger campaign 'Smoker' is used as a milder version of that Addiction. It actually comes up quite often when the party is stuck in the wilderness or a parallel dimension where tobacco is unknown. The smoker character had to ration his cigarettes, pilfer from the other characters etc.

As for Perks I think Off-Hand Weapon Training is powerful. Attribute or Skill Substitution can also be very high payoff for the point.

In the same Cliffhangers campaign one of two female characters (only one playing at the moment) has High Heeled Heroine. It is used to avoid penalties or spending time taking shoes off when action occurs at formal events. Wearing flats would be a faux pas at such events, and wearing high heels would at other times be noticed for positive benefits.
The other female character IIRC would take the penalties or spend the time struggling with the shoes so there is balance.

Honest Face is a both popular and highly (ab)used Perk in the campaigns I've GM'ed.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Candidates for the more powerful Perks in my opinion: Huge Weapons (SM), Army of One, Power Grappling, Shield-Wall Training, Strongbow/Crossbow Finesse, potentially Attribute Substitution (depends on character).

Trivial: Classic Features (probably not worth its cost), Pants-Positive Safety, No Hangover, Pet.

Tags
perks, quirks