Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #81
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Static vs. Mind Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Cosmic: Can have Magic powers +50%.
*face palm* Sometimes I forget the simple solutions... I think (personally) this would let you use magic when your shield is down with Switchable and always with Discriminatory. Maybe a +50% without either of those for normal Static and to ignore your spells...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #82
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
That's strange. I thought that, with Switchable, you can have the power, but can't use it when your shield is up. But I can't think of where that would be. Since Static: Magic (Magical -10%) doesn't seems to work, how would you build Static for a mage to learn as a spell-power?
If you wanted to experiment with it, I'd say it should be at the very least +100%, more likely +150% (compare with Improved for Magic Resistance). I wouldn't allow it at any price myself, as I think the stricture against the combination did not allow for exceptions for a reason. Proceed with caution ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #83
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
If you wanted to experiment with it, I'd say it should be at the very least +100%, more likely +150% (compare with Improved for Magic Resistance).
I think it's +200% for Improved. +150% for Improved and +50% to break the "no antipowers" rule.
Quote:
I wouldn't allow it at any price myself, as I think the stricture against the combination did not allow for exceptions for a reason. Proceed with caution ;)
There seems to be concepts that can't be built otherwise. How else do you do Anti-Magic Shells as magical powers and the like? Or somebody that has nanotech-based powers that include nanotech antibodies?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #84
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
There seems to be concepts that can't be built otherwise. How else do you do Anti-Magic Shells as magical powers and the like? Or somebody that has nanotech-based powers that include nanotech antibodies?
I generally don't worry too much about players not being able to build to concepts that I won't allow anyway *g*

Anti-Magic Shell could just be a Mana Damper. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could allow it as an exception in your game (it probably will have some limitations that will make that more palatable). I don't understand the nanotech reference. Aren't attacks defined as such going to be resisted? I would think that the 'antibodies' would just improve resistance.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #85
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I generally don't worry too much about players not being able to build to concepts that I won't allow anyway *g*
If you aren't going to run genres or settings where these abilities are possible, sure.
Quote:
I don't understand the nanotech reference. Aren't attacks defined as such going to be resisted? I would think that the 'antibodies' would just improve resistance.
What about grey goo dissemblers that just do damage? Or nano-sensors that enable Clairvoyance?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #86
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
What about grey goo dissemblers that just do damage? Or nano-sensors that enable Clairvoyance?
Maybe it's another failure of imagination on my part, but these things don't seem like powers vs powers but machines vs machines.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #87
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Since nanomachines individually have only fractional HP at best, an aura with Accessibility: Only vs nanites (-x%) would fry every nanite that isn't your own. Even doing just 1 point of damage would be enough to kill them all.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #88
kirbwarrior

While I brought up anit-magic magic, there is also the omnipsi, who possesses abilities from all over the psi spectrum, including any ability to shut down psionic powers. And a given setting might have any power source be the one way to stop that given power source. It's conceivable to make the Cosmic PM +45% in a setting and have anti-Cosmic powers be Cosmic powers. Gods then are basically mortals to each other.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction-proof, protected sense, static