Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
TedT

Default Waiting for an Opening

Another request for clarification, or to be guided to a passage in ITL, etc., that I may have missed: Waiting for an Opening, which is a frequently used element in my group's combats ... Does this +1 or +2 to hit include Missile Spells? The rules on page 127 make it clear it's available to those using missile weapons and thrown weapons. But what of missile spells?

I must say I enjoy the "gambling" that goes into this decision on the part of a character in combat. Same feeling with aimed shots. The number of times I've heard, "Ahhrrrgghh! I should have just tried to hit him with a regular attack!"
TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Waiting for an Opening

I don't know of an official ruling. I do tend to allow it, but I could see not wanting to allow it. Up to the GM, I think.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

What I see in the rules is that the "waiting for an opening" is only for physical attacks and not for missile spells.

ITL pg 127 starts with "A fighter may spend up to two turns..." That implies it is not for missile spells.

The GM Screen has the waiting-for-an-opening DX adjustments only listed under the physical attacks section.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #4
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT View Post
Another request for clarification, or to be guided to a passage in ITL, etc., that I may have missed: Waiting for an Opening, which is a frequently used element in my group's combats ... Does this +1 or +2 to hit include Missile Spells? The rules on page 127 make it clear it's available to those using missile weapons and thrown weapons. But what of missile spells?

I must say I enjoy the "gambling" that goes into this decision on the part of a character in combat. Same feeling with aimed shots. The number of times I've heard, "Ahhrrrgghh! I should have just tried to hit him with a regular attack!"
Makes sense it should work as missile spells are DX-based and use roll-to-miss, just like using a bow; most, if not all of the rules about normal missiles also work with missile spells: Reverse Missiles, Turn Missiles, Seamanship, Missile Weapons, rules for flight, etc.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
hcobb

C.f. ITL 124 "Aimed Throws"
Old 11-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
Kieddicus

I would say it is allowed as the rules state that missile spells adjDX works just like missile weapons.

I find the use of the word "Fighter" not all that relevant as the two types of characters are "Hero" and "Wizard". Also if we went by that standard then most spells would only work for wizards as they say "wizard" when addressing the caster.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Skarg

Yeah I'm pretty sure "fighter" has no intended rule-effect significance in ITL, especially in the Advanced Combat rules. More or less interchangeable with "humanoid figure" or in many (all?) cases just "figure", I think.

(Of course that hasn't stopped some people from deciding it's significant and excludes wizards and/or beekeepers or thieves and assassins because of the use of the word in the character design guideline categories.)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:54 AM   #8
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure "fighter" has no intended rule-effect significance in ITL, especially in the Advanced Combat rules. More or less interchangeable with "humanoid figure" or in many (all?) cases just "figure", I think.

(Of course that hasn't stopped some people from deciding it's significant and excludes wizards and/or beekeepers or thieves and assassins because of the use of the word in the character design guideline categories.)
Those darn beekeepers and their insignificant guild, always fighting for representation, wasting our time and valuable resources...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Chris Rice

I always allowed this to apply to any spell. I think of it less as “waiting for an opening” than “extra time for the Wizard to formulate their spell.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
Skarg

Of course, if you allow it to apply to any, spell, you make all non-urgent spells cast at +2, which alters the balance of quite a few things.