Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #11
phiwum

Default Re: Quick question about UC II and above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I also agree with the consensus that both the -1 DX and -1 damage apply to all melee attacks.

I am uncertain about 2 hex jabs.

Also keep in mind the evade can only be done by someone with both hands empty and armor no heavier than Cloth. As with all UC abilities.

It is these two restrictions to UC skills that make them pointless for me. A character with a high level of UC ability can be very dangerous but it is a long way to get there. In the meantime you are a low damage dealing and thin armored fighter. Brawling seems more useful if you are concerned you may not draw your dagger in time in HTH.
I have long thought that Brawling is more useful that UC for PCs, but I'm writing up non-PCs for whom UC makes sense. (Buncha monks.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
Helborn

Since the limitation on "adjacent hexes" only shows up in UCV, I would suggest that the GM has a choice - ignore it for UC V OR apply it for all UC levels. My personal choice (call it a house rule) is to ignore it since it does not appear in 4 out of 5 descriptions.
So, Evade applies to 2 hex jabs.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
phiwum

I think it makes perfect sense for a martial arts expert to evade a jab.

And I've watched my share of Hong Kong movies, so I know stuff.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
Axly Suregrip

I take it to mean Evade works against all melee attacks which the UC expert is facing. That is, it does not apply to HTH, thrown or missile; nor does it apply to attacks from flank or rear.

I find the wording to be much more likely to mean it is excluding HTH, then to mean it is excluding spear jabs.

So yes, UC evade is effective against jabs.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 AM   #15
phiwum

That is how I read it now as well.

Thanks to all for their input.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
phiwum

I have an additional question about U.C. II and above, this time about the throw ability.
Throw: You may “shield-rush” without a shield. Use the shield-rush rules, but if your target falls, you may immediately move on top of them to attempt HTH.
If I' playing right, when one attempts HTH successfully, they immediately roll an attack. Also, if the target is on the ground, HTH attempts fail only on a roll of five (six is a reroll).

Does this mean that a UCII user gets to immediately move into the hex of the fallen character and roll dice for an HTH attack (barring a role of five)?

Thanks.

Last edited by phiwum; 09-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #17
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I have an additional question about U.C. II and above, this time about the throw ability.
Throw: You may “shield-rush” without a shield. Use the shield-rush rules, but if your target falls, you may immediately move on top of them to attempt HTH.
If I' playing right, when one attempts HTH successfully, they immediately roll an attack. Also, if the target is on the ground, HTH attempts fail only on a roll of five (six is a reroll).

Does this mean that a UCII user gets to immediately move into the hex of the fallen character and roll dice for an HTH attack (barring a role of five)?

Thanks.

Yeah I saw that and feel it is inconsistent or did not fully explain with some bits of the HTH rules. Yes a 6 roll is ignored/rerolled since the foe is down and a 5 roll blocks you from moving onto your foe. Secondly, the UC fighter already had his attack this turn so he should not get a HTH attack too.

The short of it: I allow the UC fighter to move into HTH for free except on a 5 roll and do not give him/her an additional attack.

I would say this is how I play it and it may differ from others.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
hcobb

Figures on the ground (say after the throw) get no HTH defense roll. The exception from Multiple HTH Combat (ITL 117) applies to all downed foes.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Figures on the ground (say after the throw) get no HTH defense roll. The exception from Multiple HTH Combat (ITL 117) applies to all downed foes.
Thanks for the reminder and correction. Yes, it is down gets no save. And from behind gets the 5 but not 6.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #20
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Ah thanks. I had originally written that and couldn't find evidence it was so. I went back to edit my post to change it to match HTH initiation from the rear.

Makes perfect sense. Hard to prevent entry when downed.

By the way, a downed character is facing rear in all sides. Do people allow backpacks/slung shields to stop one hit in those cases? As a player pointed out, someone falling down due to a hit is hardly certain to land face first, regardless of whether his stance makes the to-hit roll effectively rear-facing.