Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
mook

Default GURPS, 1986 Release Date?

Howdy Folks,

I'm curious if anyone knows the actual release date for GURPS the first in 1986. I haven't been able to pin anything down, and thought it might be fun to run a commemorative game or two for its birthday.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Parabola

Default Re: GURPS, 1986 Release Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Howdy Folks,

I'm curious if anyone knows the actual release date for GURPS the first in 1986. I haven't been able to pin anything down, and thought it might be fun to run a commemorative game or two for its birthday.
According to Wikipedia, the first edition of Gurps debuted at the 1986 Origins convention that started on July 3rd. That would supposedly then be the first date that the public was able to see the game and start buying it.

That fits in with my memories. My best friend preordered the game and was anxiously awaiting it. I remember we started on a Saturday and it was the 19th during the summer. That would make July 19 the day we first played.

Also, Gurps was predated by a Steve Jackson game called "The Fantasy Trip" which was the forerunner to Gurps and we often referred to it as "Proto-Gurps". My best friend had GM'd and played it and that's why he was so anxious to get the more developed Gurps version of the game.

Last edited by Parabola; 01-14-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
According to Wikipedia, the first edition of Gurps debuted at the 1986 Origins convention that started on July 3rd. That would supposedly then be the first date that the public was able to see the game and start buying it.

That fits in with my memories. My best friend preordered the game and was anxiously awaiting it. I remember we started on a Saturday and it was the 19th during the summer. That would make July 19 the day we first played.

Also, Gurps was predated by a Steve Jackson game called "The Fantasy Trip" which was the forerunner to Gurps
I quite liked TFT as well.

The full release of GURPS was also preceded by the release of the combat system in a book called "Man To Man" as an arena combat game (in the tradition of Melee and the later Wizard that led to TFT).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

GURPS didn't trickle into my hometown – Halifax, Nova Scotia – until autumn 1986. I got my copy of GURPS, First Edition the week it appeared in local shops, and I started my first GURPS campaign within a month of buying it. That was just after I had paired up with my then-girlfriend, now-spouse Bonnie, which was on November 12, so I acquired my copy sometime in October. I know other people in bigger cities had GURPS in August 1986, which I believe is when the game went into general distribution, though I'm sure it was possible to have a copy in July.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Joe

This is all very interesting.

It being the 30th anniversary this year, surely we can expect some celebrations, promotions, etc? Even if only organized by the fanbase? It would be great to have an exact date of some sort for that - just as a banner around which to drum up support!

Bring on 2016, year of GURPS!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
GURPS didn't trickle into my hometown – Halifax, Nova Scotia – until autumn 1986.
That sounds like the same time frame in which I picked up GURPS (first semester freshman year, from Games of Berkeley).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

It would be great to have an exact date of some sort for that - just as a banner around which to drum up support!
Then I'd echo the suggestion of using Origins 1986 as the marker, which would make July 3 the logical date.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Then I'd echo the suggestion of using Origins 1986 as the marker, which would make July 3 the logical date.
That makes sense. Maybe I'll try to organize something local.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola View Post

Also, Gurps was predated by a Steve Jackson game called "The Fantasy Trip" which was the forerunner to Gurps and we often referred to it as "Proto-Gurps". My best friend had GM'd and played it and that's why he was so anxious to get the more developed Gurps version of the game.
Emphasis mine! That's the day after my birthday! Who knew that GURPS and I were so closely related? I have an even greater excuse to play GURPS on my birthday. Looks like I'll be doing a 30th anniversary session this summer.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
It being the 30th anniversary this year, surely we can expect some celebrations, promotions, etc?
There's potentially another work of mine coming out in the year. Isn't that celebration enough? Ungrateful bastards.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote