Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Ego Archive

Default Re: [DF] One shot- Crevan Brokenhands Last Rest

I've decided that I will go ahead and split this into two different adventures. While they will both be similar, they will feature fairly significant differences in certain areas. When I started this, I intended it to be a simple one-shot, so I will continue that project here.

This version will feature the streamlined map, 3 encounters (plus skull) with the inclusion of the artifact in area 3, and Crevan as the end fight.

I am going to continue to work on the arc for the extended cut, I'm picturing a three part adventure for that one, and I will post more on that as it becomes available.

I'm going to post the changed version up after this post, so people can see the changes, and make comments regarding the different versions. Once I have the rewrites completed, I will post the finished piece back to the beginning of the thread. Be aware the map links in the following post will be different from the original post.

GM Map

Horrid Skull AOE

Player Map

This encounter will use the N scaling method outlined in DF Adventure 1 - Mirror of the Fire Demon, Page 10. Additionally it will use monsters from Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1, and several other Dungeon Fantasy books.

Crevan Brokenhand

Crevan, regarded as the greatest of the Barbarian Kings, is renowned for hundreds of miles as the last barbarian to unite the various tribes under one banner. The horde Crevan commanded laid waste to the countryside far and wide. He earned the name "Brokenhand" at one of the first sieges he commanded.

While leading the first charge Crevan’s hand was crushed by a blow with a maul. Rather then nurse his badly broken hand; he opted to have the hand bound to the grip of his broadsword. Crevan continued with the siege for 12 days, until the fort was taken, with his sword perpetually "at hand".

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.

Last edited by Ego Archive; 06-22-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Moved intro and links up.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Ego Archive

Default Re: [DF] One shot- Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

This burial tomb of the last king of the barbarians, is a small affair, but said to be laden with some of Crevans' most valued treasures. The location of the tomb was forgotten long ago, with much of the rest of Crevans’ story.

Outside- The adventurers stumble upon a small hill ringed with stones of roughly 6 feet in height. The forest in this area is very dense, and if not for the path of broken underbrush leading to it, the burial mound would have easily been missed. The hill is mostly obscured by heavy brush that has grown all around the area. The ring is comprised of 12 stones spaced equal distance apart from one another, around the 15 meter wide hill. On the South side of the hill is a stone entrance, with stairs leading into the ground. It appears that the entrance was covered with a heavy slab of rock until recently, however the slab has been toppled over, and crushed all the brush that had grown over the entrance.

The entrance is roughly 2 meters wide by 3 meters tall, and descends into the earth roughly 10 meters.

Quote:
The stairs leading down into the crypt are heavily laden in dirt and have begun to crumble with age, the stonework of the walls is of exceptional quality, with small reliefs of battles etched into the stones. The ceilings are great slabs of smooth stone.
Where the corridor turns left the walls have caved in causing the corridor to be filled with loose rock and dirt over half way up. Getting through the corridor is difficult terrain, and may require climbing or dex checks to avoid twisting an ankle, or stumbling and falling through. Additionally the PC's can make a listen roll to hear scraping coming from the south (area 2), it sounds like boots crunching around the area.

Quote:
This open space with vaulted ceiling smells of moldering plants and rotting meat, more so than you would expect with a tomb.
In this area there are N Draugr (P. 12, DF Monsters 1). The Horrid Skull in area 4, will also affect anyone in it area of effect, in this room. The Draugr are shambling around aimlessly, until a target presents itself, by either attacking them, or trying to enter area 5, where their personal treasures are.

3. This alter to some ancient god is completely intact, with no signs of decay or dust on the surfaces. The large brazier in the center of the room is inscribed with writings of some forgotten language, as are the bases of the fountains on the three walls of this room. Water is still tricking out of the fountains, and the bases are filled with clear and untainted water.

Resting in the brazier is a large gleaming spear. While the brazier is blackened from a fire, the spear is untouched, and does not seem to have suffered from time at all.

The players can make a History, or Area Knowledge roll to to remember the story of Crevan's death.

Quote:
"Crevan was killed at the battle of the Splitwoods. A champion of the lizardman tribes, Urla-skul, called upon ancient powers to seek vengence for his village, a village Crevan had torches put to, during his campaign conquering the lizardman territories. The champion was able to find Crevan during the fray, a drove the spear through Crevan from back to front. Even mortally wounded, Crevan whirled around and struck down Urla-skul; he then led his war-band on to decimate the lizardman forces at Splitwoods, before falling dead from blood loss."
A successful Perception+Magery roll or Mage Sight spell, will identify this as a Spear of Penetration (DF 1-Adventurers, P.30)

4. This room is filled with trinkets and fetishes of various types, including some made with animal bones and other less recognizable materials. A decayed and largely disintegrated skeleton is slumped over one of the large tables. The skeleton is of fairly small stature (an anatomy roll will determine that it is a female), and the perfectly preserved skull has settled to stare disconcertingly at the doorway. Additionally the various tables in the room are covered in the remains of scrolls that have decayed into useless scraps, and clay containers that have fallen apart, emptying moldering contents all over the tables.

The skull is a Horrid Skull (DF Monsters 1, P.19) and will continue to assault everyone in the area until destroyed.

Along the far wall is a table with a couple items that can be recognized as magical with a Perception+Magery roll or Mage Sight spell. A wood Helm and Mask (Maaukepu’s Mask; DF 6 - 40 Artifacts, P.8), and a rune-inscribed metal flask with the stopper sealed by wax (Spirit Flask; DF 6 - 40 Artifacts, P.22); inside the Spirit Flask is nature spirit who (if successfully negotiated with) may offer to heal the party or answer a question. Alternatively the Spirit may just leave if the group antagonizes it, or if things go really poorly it may hinder them in some way.

5. This area of the main chamber has several chests scattered along the south wall, and two large braziers on either side of an archway leading to the east. There are also N open (and empty) sarcophagi lined up in a row near the South wall of the room. The chests (3 total) are locked with simple locks.

Inside the chests are d3+2 Swords of fine quality and varying types; d6X$100 in various coins of precious metal. Additionally, roll N times on the Treasure Type Table (DF 8 - Treasure Tables, P.7)

Quote:
Stairs descend several feet down into this area. This area is dominated by a huge statue of barbarian with a large shield and massive broadsword. The statue depicts the man's right hand bound with ropes and fabric to the pommel of the sword.
Obviously, this is a representation of Crevan at the siege he is so renowned for. This area is brightly lit by four burning braziers. Inspection of the braziers would determine that they are enchanted, but as each is several hundred pounds, they probably are not worth taking. On the opposite side of this room, another set of stairs ascend several feet to an archway opening to a corridor continuing east.

Quote:
This corridor feels very low, and claustrophobic after the vaulted ceilings in the previous rooms. In the corridor the are two alcoves evenly spaced on each wall, in the alcoves you see ornamental suits of armor, holding large broadswords. The walls are decorated with complex woven tapestries that are beginning to fade and unravel.
The four alcoves each contain one Steel Golem (Below). Anyone moving into area 7 will awaken these protectors from their slumber. Additionally the statue (stone Golem, DF 2-Dungeons P.26)in Area 6 will "Wake up" and attack the party from behind.

Quote:
This crypt contains a throne, on a raised diaz, at the far end of the room. Two more lit braziers frame the massive throne, and large rugs and bear skins are strewn around the room. The walls appear to have been painted with the scenes of a variety of massive battle. Taken as a whole the walls are a dizzying collection of slaughter with battles flowing into one another.
Strewn around the room are treasures of all sorts, Including Nd6X$100+38 worth of coins of various types. A pair of gleaming bracers (Bracers of Force- DR1; DF 6 - 40 Artifacts, P.5), A heavy Gold chain ($2,000), a bowl filled with Emeralds(7), Rubies(6), Sapphires(4) $35 each. And Nx2 rolls on the Treasure Type Table (DF 8 - Treasure Tables, P.7)

Sitting in the throne is the rotting corpse of a giant barbarian. As the party enters the room, the corpse stands up and declares "What fool's you are to disrupt, my well earned slumber", while pointing the massive sword gripped in his hand at the group. Crevan cannot be negotiated with, and will not speak any further.

For Crevan, use the Draug (P. 12, DF Monsters 1) statistics, but he is SM+1 and ST 25 (Increases HP to 30).
His Fine SM+1 broadsword (16) does 5d+2 cutting.
Additionally he has regeneration (Very Fast) 1HP/Sec, with the Limitation - Damage from Urla-skul's spear cannot be healed.

Steel Golems

A steel golem is a magical automaton created as a guardian. These animated suits of armor are created by Summoning a spirit into them, Then binding them to protect a certain location.

ST: 16 HP: 20 Speed: 6.25
DX: 11 Will: 8 Move: 6
IQ: 8 Per: 8
HT: 14 FP: N/A SM: +1
Dodge: 9 Parry: 9 DR: 8
Mail Gauntlet (12): 1d+1 crushing.
Weapon (13): sword (2d+6 cutting).
Traits: Automaton; Cannot Learn; Doesn’t Breathe; Doesn’t Eat
or Drink; Doesn’t Sleep; Fragile (Unnatural); High Pain
Threshold; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards; Indomitable;
Injury Tolerance (Homogenous, No Blood); Pressure
Support 3; Reprogrammable; Unfazeable; Unhealing (Total);
Vacuum Support.
Skills: Brawling-12; Sword-13.
Class: Construct.
Notes: This is a basic model; there’s no actual limit to ST, HP,
DR, or skill. If clad in barbarian-sized (SM +1) armor, add
armor DR to natural DR 4; DR 5 bronze plate (total DR 9)
is common. No golem will negotiate or reveal useful
information.

Last edited by Ego Archive; 06-27-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Grammar correction, Added descriptions.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Stripe

Nailed it! Great job. Two thumbs up. :)
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I will point out to the peanut gallery that this short adventure comes in at just shy of 1,700 words plus a map. You could fit almost FIVE such adventures in the wordcount Steven gave me for The Last Gasp.

Point is, this type of thing might just be spiffy for Pyramid. Suggest to check the Wish List and be dazzled by the number of issues this (or other) short adventures could fit into.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I will point out to the peanut gallery that this short adventure comes in at just shy of 1,700 words plus a map. You could fit almost FIVE such adventures in the wordcount Steven gave me for The Last Gasp.

Point is, this type of thing might just be spiffy for Pyramid. Suggest to check the Wish List and be dazzled by the number of issues this (or other) short adventures could fit into.
They'd be great for Pyramid! I hope these two here will prove to be a nice impetus to throw more together for future Pyramid issues (I'm particularly looking at the Action issue as one that needs a nice adventure).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Ego Archive

My big concern with the re-write, is the combat power levels. Until I run through the adventure I just don't really have a good feel if any given combat, or the accumulation of combats, is too much or too little.

I have a gut feeling that the end fight is too easy, and that Crevan will need extreme regeneration. I worry that that would flop him from too easy to massacring any party that enters.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Stripe

^Didn't want to say anything since I mentioned it before, but I agree that Crevan's certainly too easy. As has been determined in these forums, solo bosses need lots of two things: DR and HP. I'd say he needs at least DR 17 (same as a golem-armor swordsman).

I can't imagine healing 1 HP per round really having much of a noticeable effect on the outcome of the battle at all, either.

Regeneration isn't in "Brokenhand's" lore, either. Twice now you've mentioned that he gets hurt but keeps going on no matter what. It's where he gets his name and why he died, too.

With his lore in mind, I'd say just give him a crap ton of HP and Unkillable 2 or 3 (Achilles' Heel: Weapon X) since he already has the suite of undead pain and injury resistances.

To me, though, he sounds exactly like a berserker. If that's the case, he needs a tremendous amount of HP. However, deciding just how much HP he needs would be easy. How many rounds do you want him to survive? Take all the damage-per-round capability of all the PC's and multiply it by how many turns you want him to take! XD
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I can't imagine healing 1 HP per round really having much of a noticeable effect on the outcome of the battle at all, either.
Extreme Regen is 'recover 10 HP every second', not 'recover 1 HP per second'. Then factor in high HP and regen, and it's effectively 'recover your HP every second', so if he has 55 HP, he should recover 55 HP per second.

I agree that Crevan's lore doesn't utilize regen, though.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Extreme Regen is 'recover 10 HP every second', not 'recover 1 HP per second'.
He currently has Very Fast Regeneration, which is what I was addressing.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #20
Ego Archive

Yeah, I threw the regeneration on, as I was writing him up with limited time. But it really didn't feel right. I think doing a full write-up will make more sense. I don't picture him in full plate, so I think the load of HP, and unkillable sounds pretty good. Feedback appreciated.

Crevan Brokenhand
ST: 25 HP: 35 Speed: 8
DX: 14 Will: 12 Move: 6
IQ: 10 Per: 10
HT: 18 FP: N/A SM: +1
Dodge: 11 (13) Parry: 12(14) Block:11(13) DR: 8
broadsword (18) does 5d+2 cutting.

Traits: Bad Smell; Bad Temper (12); Bloodlust
(12); Berserk (12); Combat Reflexes; Dark Vision; Dependency
(Rest in own tomb 1/3 of the time; Daily);
Doesn’t Breathe; Doesn’t Eat or Drink; Frightens
Animals; Hidebound; High Pain Threshold; Damage Resistance 3;
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards; Indomitable;
Injury Tolerance (No Blood); Intolerance (Living); Unkillable 1 (Achilles Heel:Urla-skul's Spear); Single-Minded; Temperature Tolerance 10
(-40°F to 165°F); Unhealing (Total); Vulnerability (Fire x2).

Skills: Sword-18.
Class: Undead.
Notes: Carries a medium Shield (DB 2, Block 16), A SM+1 Fine Broadsword. Wears mail (factored into the DR above) and a pot-helm (giving
the skull DR 11).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I went with Unkillable 1, because a higher level won't make much difference in a one-shot, as far as I can tell. With that and 35HP, the group will need to do between 210-385 damage to drop him, which should be a pretty good fight. Add in his higher combat skills, massive damage, and this should be a pretty rough fight for a party of 4-5.

Tags
adventures, dungeon fantasy, one-shot, [df]