Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #41
Mateus

Default Re: What I’m looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Ooh. Someone should make a sheet for this. I think I'll make a sheet for this. Unless someone has done it already?
As long as I know there isn't one. It would be a great product! And woul be greater if they made it as a fiable pdf =)
Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
quarkstomper

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

I once started off a fantasy campaign by having the characters all attending a village fair. This allowed them to participate in contests, encounter pick-pockets, deal with the owlbear that accidentally broke out of its cage in the petting zoo, etc. Low level encounters an mostly non-hazardous opportunities to try out their skills. And by distinguishing themselves in the Grand Melee/Archery Contest/Pie-Eating Contest, they brought themselves to the attention of the Patron who would hire them for the Adventure.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #43
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
I once started off a fantasy campaign by having the characters all attending a village fair. This allowed them to participate in contests, encounter pick-pockets, deal with the owlbear that accidentally broke out of its cage in the petting zoo, etc. Low level encounters an mostly non-hazardous opportunities to try out their skills. And by distinguishing themselves in the Grand Melee/Archery Contest/Pie-Eating Contest, they brought themselves to the attention of the Patron who would hire them for the Adventure.
I like that method more then the tavern one.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
DwarvenHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I like that method more than the tavern one.
I agree, Refplace. Quarkstomper, great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
One-Use Patron: Spirit of Place, the mostly-powerless guardian spirit that watches over their coastal village ... arranges a shared dream where they contest against each other and against potential future enemies; with the characters waking up from the "obvious nightmare" when they die.

Highlight things that happened and people they met and things they fought in the nightmare when they show up during the game (something that happens occasionally but not too often). Leave it a mystery in-character though.
This is a great idea. While I haven't considered an eastern mythology of spirits and spirit guardians, I was going with the Pathfinder, Galarion campaign setting and the deities that they have. It would be very easy for the God of travel and sea, a deity with a strong following in that town, to grant visions of an upcoming and dangerous journey ahead of all four players.

I'll have to be careful. Not only must I prepare at least a few adversaries and key NPC's in advance, but I have to allow some minions, not just bosses. Bosses would be too powerful and kill the PC's instantly. Dying too quickly in a dream meant to enlighten them of their limits doesn't help anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
I would also suggest making this a risk-free, commitment-free activity for your players, so they can try things without worrying that it's going to be the death of their character. They can also learn about what works and what doesn't when they're picking traits and equipment. It's no fun for the player if they learn that dual-wielding quarterstaves isn't, in fact, practical, and then have you tell them that they're stuck with it.
The dream would be a great time to revamp characters. "I don't use a quarterstaff? That's weird that I would dream I do."

During the months of downtime, I was going to allow players to alter some of their skills. "Use it or lose it" philosophy. It was inspired by the idea that a brawler could befriend a martial arts master and end up training with him during some down time. Skills such as brawling or even boxing may drop a little while they train in karate. I still require all players to keep a single cp in any given skill. You never completely forget how to do something.
DwarvenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
I would also suggest making this a risk-free, commitment-free activity for your players, so they can try things without worrying that it's going to be the death of their character. They can also learn about what works and what doesn't when they're picking traits and equipment. It's no fun for the player if they learn that dual-wielding quarterstaves isn't, in fact, practical, and then have you tell them that they're stuck with it.
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating: I have a house rule when I GM of treating the character sheet as a rough draft through the first few sessions. Massive changes (switching from a knight in shining armor to a magically enhanced thief) require explicit approval, but switching weapon skills or deciding that disadvantage isn't as interesting for your character as this one as this one are fine.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #46
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating: I have a house rule when I GM of treating the character sheet as a rough draft through the first few sessions. Massive changes (switching from a knight in shining armor to a magically enhanced thief) require explicit approval, but switching weapon skills or deciding that disadvantage isn't as interesting for your character as this one as this one are fine.
I didn't go quite that far, but in my current campaign, I allowed the players to use the first 10 character points they earned as retcon points: they could spend them on anything at all, and we'd all just agree the character had those traits all along.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #47
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating: I have a house rule when I GM of treating the character sheet as a rough draft through the first few sessions.
Oh, hell yeah. I thought every GM did that.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Oh, hell yeah. I thought every GM did that.
Absolutely not. I go through the character sheet systematically several times before the first session, making sure the player and I are both happy with it.

I have, once, given players a 10-point reserve to spend on traits their characters really ought to have, but which the players and I both failed to think of. Normally I don't even do that.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #49
Stripe

^What a mighty and powerful GM you are.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #50
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
^What a mighty and powerful GM you are.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, gritty, gurps, novice gm, odyseey