Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Greg 1

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
PM sent! I'm interested in DF fan-made adventures.
Sure thing! I'll post it to you. If you have any feedback, I'd be very interested. :)
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Greg 1

Sorry folks - my inbox filled up with people asking for a copy of "Beneath Castle Everglory", my GURPS DF homebrew dungeon.

My inbox is now no longer filled, so if you couldn't post to be before asking for it, you should be able to now.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
Sorry folks - my inbox filled up with people asking for a copy of "Beneath Castle Everglory", my GURPS DF homebrew dungeon.

My inbox is now no longer filled, so if you couldn't post to be before asking for it, you should be able to now.
That sounds like an indicator of popularity to me. You might want to post it somewhere or ask if anyone wants to host it for you. A pre-made populated dungeon to pick up and play is one of the most requested items for DF, and I don't think anyone's actually posted one anywhere. I know that's a big part of why I haven't started my DF game yet... I don't have time to prepare a dungeon!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
That sounds like an indicator of popularity to me. You might want to post it somewhere or ask if anyone wants to host it for you. A pre-made populated dungeon to pick up and play is one of the most requested items for DF, and I don't think anyone's actually posted one anywhere. I know that's a big part of why I haven't started my DF game yet... I don't have time to prepare a dungeon!
Actually, the entire point of writing it was to offer a free dungeon for GURPS DF players (see thread "Free Dungeon Project" somewhere)

Kuroshima is eventually going to map all of the levels for me (he's done the first three). I thought I would wait until he is finished before putting it up.

In the meantime, I'm hopeing to get feedback from people who have had a chance to read it or even play-test it (something I have been unable to do).
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
Rasputin

I have one that I originally wrote for publication (it was rejected) here.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Can you share why it was rejected, so that those of us with similar projects might learn from it? I see you were able to use the e23 format, that's cool. Maybe your adventure at least can serve as an example of how to make that work.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
Greg 1

I checked with Kuroshima about the maps.

He is still interested in helping but is very busy and does not know when he's going to be able to devote time to this.

If anyone else wants to help with maps, let me know!

Kuroshima has offered to provide the master files in GIMP format, so someone else can do the rest of the maps in the same style.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Can you share why it was rejected, so that those of us with similar projects might learn from it? I see you were able to use the e23 format, that's cool. Maybe your adventure at least can serve as an example of how to make that work.
Mostly, too much of a dungeon crawl, and too much boxed text. I saw those in the spirit of the genre, but obviously I was outvoted.

I had to adapt the e23 format for a dungeon, since it really is suited for more genuine roleplaying adventures. I chose to make the dungeon an appendix. There was no comment on this, so I assume this is a way to go, so long as you hit all the required points. Some of my required points wound up a little tongue-in-cheek.

As an aside, you have no how idea how much work it takes to make an adventure ready for publication until you've tried it. I never submitted the whole draft and I still estimate I spent about a hundred hours on it. There's so many things that you keep in your head or as short notes when you make an adventure for your weekend game that you need to write out for a full adventure for someone else to run.

From a more technical standpoint, if you use GURPS Dragons, those suckers have high HT. One of the players and I came up with a few tricks to effectively lower it, but I wanted to drink the company Kool-Aid until someone there told me not to do it anymore, since it does encourage someone to buy GURPS Dragons. Feel free to drop the HT score. I found that the players were able to smack the dragon into not being able to do much, but it kept on living.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 08-26-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: More on Dragons
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
Captain-Captain

Lythia.com is a Harn site FULL of adventures and other material that can be applied to GURPS rather seamlessly. And FREE.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #20
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
After looking it over, I can see one big issue with it from a GURPS standpoint: You wanted a race of low level lizard people, so you called them kobolds. This is a direct D&D legacy.

A quick look at wikipedia informs us that there are three traditional types of kobolds.
The first are basically like House Elves from Harry Potter - little humanoids that assist in housework but play tricks on people.
The second are mine spirits who may be able to walk through rock the way we walk through air, and who might be responsible for placing poisonous ore in the miners' way. The element cobalt is named for them.
The third are water spirits who take care of the ship they live on as long as the sailors treat them with respect, fixing holes, pumping water, and rescuing overboard sailors. These are called klabautermann.

None of these are lizardfolk, which explains why DF3 didn't use the name kobold for their lizardfolk.

HOWEVER. They do suggest several possible races that could be called kobolds:
A race well-suited to the Innkeeper class, with bonuses to cooking and survival skills, perhaps with access to Charms limited to the Making and Breaking College.
A race with Permeation: Stone but limited to stone a few inches thick. (It is Dungeon Fantasy, after all, we don't want to have players walking through all the walls.)
A race made partially of cobalt. (It is named after them, after all.)
A race naturally suited to ship's life, with a talent that adds to seafaring skills and carpentry, as well as a buoyancy perk.

You could probably tweak your submission and give your Kobolds a new name, like Dracons or somesuch.

Or you could replace them outright with any of the races above that align more with traditional kobolds and don't step on the toes of races that already exist in DF, dropping the dragon connection and coming up with something new for them to worship or follow.

Tags
adventures