Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
johnangel

Default Phoenix not displaying Threshold and Recovery for Unlimited Mana

Hi all,

Back looking at GURPS after being away for 15 years or so... In fact, I was one of the first people to buy GCA from Armin, long before he got the SJ stamp of approval!

I apologize if this is a noob question, but I recently discovered the Phoenix character sheets for GCA, which are completely awesome. But I can't seem to get them to display the stats for Threshold and Recovery Rate under the Unlimited Mana rules. I downloaded the Unlimited Mana data set, and the advantages are there, but when I look at their properties they say "gives +0 to Thresh" and "gives +0 to RR."

When I looked at the Advanced tab, I could see it was calculating "gives Threshbase/6" for example. But I couldn't fine Threshbase in the table of attributes. I assume that is the campaign global setting, but I cannot figure out how to set it. And, either way, I'd like to see the Thresh and RR numbers in the secondary stat blocks, and possibly even see the usage blocks. It looks like the sheet was set up to do this, but I'm just not seeing it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? If somebody has made it work, could you email me a character where it works, to see if it is something with my setting I've screwed up?

I'd love to make this work. Appreciate any help folks can give me. If this works, it will be the coolest thing ever.
johnangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Phoenix not displaying Threshold and Recovery for Unlimited Mana

Those data files, like many (official and unofficial), create new "attributes" to track some of the statistics behind the scenes (such as Recovery Rate and Threshold). If you load those files onto an existing character (including a "new character" that's already loaded into GCA) you need to Resynchronize the Attributes (under Tools) to merge the new attributes into the character. Once the new "attributes" are present on the Character Phoenix should correctly display them.

Note that Unlimited Mana has been brought back in 4e in GURPS Thaumatology under the name Threshold-Limited Magic, and appears in the data file for GURPS Thaumatology.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 12-14-2009 at 03:13 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
johnangel

Thanks for your quick reply.

I did as you suggested, and I can now see the new attributes in the table. They are even calculating the Increased Thresh and RR advantages correctly. However, they are not displaying, still.

Incidentally, the data file seems to be an older one. I can't seem to find the one for GURPS Thaumatology. Could you point me towards it?

Thanks again for your help. I feel like I'm ALMOST there...

John
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Phoenix has an option to display these under Tools -> Character Sheet Options -> Phoenix.gcs -> Ancillary Statistics Blocks Options
Thaumatology is in the latest Data Update
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnangel View Post
Incidentally, the data file seems to be an older one.
Phoenix should work with the current versions of both of the 4e compatible Unlimited Mana GDFs that I know about; i.e. GURPS UMana 4e.gdf or GURPS Unlimited Mana 4e.gdf. If it doesn't have "4e" in the name it's likely a old 3e copy, and I have no idea if that would work with Phoenix.

If it does have "4e" in the name, then it could be that it's a truly ancient copy. If that's the case, you might need to check the status of the Use what method to determine if the block prints option, under Ancillary Statistics Blocks Options. Changing it from its default to Statistics exist (old) might help.

Regardless, you might as well just use the Thaumatology GDF, since it comes with the GCA data updates and definitely works out-of-the-box with Phoenix.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
johnangel

BOO-YAH!! Got it. I downloaded the latest datafile patch and that got me Thaumatology. It took me a while to figure out that there is a differently named Magery. But now I've got it.

Thank you guys. You're the bomb.

John

Tags
phoenix, unlimited mana