Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Jason

Default Adventure seeds!

I am feeling inspired by the "Donate your NPCs" thread, and I was just thinking about how some of my favorite parts of the supplement books are the open-ended adventure seeds, so I thought I might start a thread for any who feel like sharing their own brief plot ideas. Here's one I ran as a one-shot right around Christmas:

A Symphonic Disturbance on 34th Street

A number of disturbances in the Symphony have attracted the attention of local celestials. The events seem localized around a certain “Mall Santa” who has even rational-thinking mundanes wondering whether he could be the real deal. The angels on the scene know better: “Santa” is probably either an angel, a demon, or an ethereal. Whoever it is, “Santa” may not even realize how much trouble he’s about to be in the middle of.

(Click for spoiler-text version of what was really going on in my game, and a couple alternate scenarios...)

Spoiler:  
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Phoenix42

Default Re: Adventure seeds!

Brill... I'll definitely be stealing that one from you, if I may (does that make me the GM who stole Christmas?) And speaking of Christmas, here's one that I originally had in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer round that also featured as a Christmas special, but fits nicely to IN:

Hosts of Christmas Past
The setting is originally in Europe, but can basically be anywhere. If outside Europe,
Spoiler:  

An eruption in the symphony brings the PCs on scene to a fight between two groups of human Soldiers, evidently using swords, guns and songs against each other in a fight among old Roman ruins (a museum with Roman art is fine, too), just a few days before Christmas. The combatants appear to be Roman assassins, and it appears that an ancient conflict has resurfaced. What looks like a reenactment convention gone wrong seems to be the resurfacing of an earlier evil, as both sides of the conflict appear to be supernaturally unaging; or are they undead..? Whoever the parties are, it seems an ancient problem has come to town, and the season seems to have something to do with it...

Spoiler:  

Enjoy!

Last edited by Phoenix42; 03-05-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Jason

That is some deliciously thought-through back story there.

I figured I would restrain myself from posting more seeds until somebody else posted. So here is another!

Playthings

I designed this as a one-shot to introduce some players to ethereal PCs. The PCs are a group of dream spirits born from the imaginations of a group of children who played with their toys together years ago. As the children grew up and left their toys behind, the spirits remained close -- after all, their Images all involve being close companions -- and settled down in a safe domain in the Marches. When one of them goes missing, apparently in search of the now grown-up child he fears may be in trouble, the others must go to the corporeal realm and back again in search of their missing friends.

Each of the PCs has a Soul Link back to the child who played with the toy of it as a kid. The pre-gen characters I made include Blankie, a Primal Spirit of Security; Lucky, a yellow rabbit trickster spirit; Carr, a variant of the Tail Pipe Gobot spirit, created from a kid who had no idea what a Gobot was;
"Holmes," the embodiment of a girl's dollhouse. The missing character is Fuzzo, a spirit of Information and Family, based on a puppet from a children's educational TV show.

Spoiler:  
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
cptbutton

And idea I had a while back, which I was reminded of by the recent "In Nomine, minus the angels" thread.

The Lockout

One day all angels and demons find themselves cut off from Heaven and Hell. Trying to ascend just doesn't work, you stay where you are, even at Tethers. Invoking Superiors or other forms of communication with the Celestial Realm gets no answer. No one comes down. Dominic isn't showing up for his usual inspections.

No one on the Corporeal or Etheral planes knows what happened. Or if they do, they aren't saying.

Angels and demons who lose their last vessel don't come back, not even the Malakites.

In the Marches, climbing the towers just leaves you on an endless staircase. The Celestials at the bases of the towers don't know anything more than all the rest of the Celestials.

Has Heaven invaded Hell, or vice versa?
Have the Etheral Gods pulled off some sort of coup?
Is there some sort of metaphysical bad weather between the planes?
Was the Celestial plane destroyed?
Has God abandoned 2/3 of creation?

You could vessel kill someone and them send them lot of Essence to see if Limbo is working as usual. Assuming you can find a volunteer.

If Eli is walking the Earth, maybe he would know something. If you can find him. Or invoke him.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, adventure seeds, plot points