Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
sgsasaki

Default Equipment list truncated on Phoenix

I've used GCA and Phoenix for about 6 years now and have never run into this problem. For some reason the Equipment List is all scrunched up to where you can't see the individual line items. This is a new issue and I'm not sure what's causing it so any help would be much appreciated. I have removed and reinstalled phoenix but still have the problem.

Thanks!
sgsasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
tmedwards

Default Re: Equipment list truncated on Phoenix

Can you provide a screenshot or PDF of the offending page(s)? Also, what version of Phoenix are you using?

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
sgsasaki

You can see a screenshot here http://sgsasaki.webs.com/Equipment%20list.gif

Using Phoenix 1.45
Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
tmedwards

Thanks. Although, I was kind of hoping for the whole page—context can be important to an error like this. That said, the usual culprits for print/preview sheet formatting errors like that are either:
  • Missing printer drivers. (FAQ entry)
  • Broken/corrupted printer drivers.
  • Memory issues. (FAQ entry)
  • Bug in the sheet itself.
Much less often than any of the above, it seems that certain combinations of factors—and I have no idea what they are—can cause the print engine that GCA uses to flake out. I've only seen three cases of that though.

Looking at your screenshot, I can honestly say that I've never seen that particular error before, in any sheet. Judging solely by the screenshot, it looks like Y-coordinate isn't being updated properly after each entry is printed, so that subsequent entries are overlapping the preceding ones.

A few more questions, please:
  • Is it just the equipment block? What about the blocks directly before and after the equipment block? The load-out block uses most of the same code, does it misbehave as well?
  • Is that with all options at their defaults or have you made a lot of changes?
  • Does this happen with all characters or just one or a few?
  • Do you see similar issues with other sheets?
  • Installed any new software or updates since the last time it worked correctly?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
sgsasaki

Sorry, here's a pdf version http://sgsasaki.webs.com/Danielle%20...Stephanie).pdf

Is it just the equipment block? What about the blocks directly before and after the equipment block? The load-out block uses most of the same code, does it misbehave as well? The load-out block has the same issue and some items on the first page don't look quite right

Is that with all options at their defaults or have you made a lot of changes? I don't recall ever making changes to the options but I reset them to the defaults anyway...no change

Does this happen with all characters or just one or a few? all characters

Do you see similar issues with other sheets? Only with Phoenix and of course it's my favorite

Installed any new software or updates since the last time it worked correctly? I did upgrade to MS 2010

I will be looking at the FAQ links you provided. Thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsasaki View Post
Yikes. There's certainly something going on with the fonts being printed in on page one, then everything seems to be fine until the equipment and load-out blocks print. Hmm. I see the same over-printing problem from the equipment/load-out block happening on page one. The common denominator seems to be the "small" text. In fact, it seems that all small text is (a) too large, about the size of the normal text, and (b) where the layout is breaking.

Could you open the sheet options window and change Phoenix's font options for both the form text and character text from the default (Arial) to:
  1. Times New Roman, regular style, 8 point size
  2. Times New Roman, regular style, 10 point size
  3. Calibri, regular style, 8 point size
  4. Calibri, regular style, 10 point size
I'm curious as to what happens in each case.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
sgsasaki

Unfortunatly this changed the font size but did not breakout the equipment list. 8 (

http://sgsasaki.webs.com/Danielle%20...tephanie)2.pdf

Last edited by sgsasaki; 07-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Is that with all options at their defaults or have you made a lot of changes? I don't recall ever making changes to the options but I reset them to the defaults anyway...no change
Resetting to default should have cleared things up, but perhaps a setting has become corrupted. You can try running the app GCAClearAppData.exe to actually delete the ini files that store the data, which will ensure a complete reset no matter what, however this not only resets all the character sheets to their default settings but will also set GCA itself to the default settings. Or you can hunt down the sheetoptions.ini and manually delete just that file.

There's plenty of information on finding GCAClearAppData.exe and sheetoptions.ini in this FAQ entry
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
tmedwards

Quote:
Unfortunatly this changed the font size but did not breakout the equipment list. 8 (

http://sgsasaki.webs.com/Danielle%20...tephanie)2.pdf
Ack. That's obviously Times New Roman, but what point size was that set to? Also, what does Phoenix write to the log when you print one of these?

Regardless. It's obvious that something is causing printing problems for GCA's print engine—it's likely that Phoenix merely has the distinction of being the only sheet to exacerbate the problem enough to be noticeable.

At this point—short of having you run debug sheets, which we can do later, if necessary and you're willing—the only thing I can think of is that if using GCAClearAppData, as Eric suggests, doesn't fix the problem try completely uninstalling GCA, reboot, then reinstall and update GCA. Since GCA and Phoenix were working for you before, I'm thinking/hoping that installing Office 2010 jiggered one of the components that GCA's print engine depends on and that is what's causing problems, so reinstalling GCA may fix it.

Tags
equipment list, gca, phoenix