Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: GURPS Fantasy Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Mostly, too much of a dungeon crawl
I suppose I can see what they mean, but for a genre called "dungeon fantasy," that seems a bit...well, odd.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
After looking it over, I can see one big issue with it from a GURPS standpoint: You wanted a race of low level lizard people, so you called them kobolds. This is a direct D&D legacy.

[...]

You could probably tweak your submission and give your Kobolds a new name, like Dracons or somesuch.
This had nothing to do with it. (I also didn't care that they were lizards, but that they were small and pathetic. I kept them reptilian because it fit better with the dragon.) GURPS Fantasy Folk had a kobold race in it that had nothing to do with how kobolds are depicted in historical fables. The Dungeon Fantasy line has templates for bards, druids and ninjas that have nothing to do with their historical antecedents. This is dungeon fantasy. This isn't GURPS Myths and Legends of Twelfth Century Germany. Even the Wikipedia article mentioned cites their near-universal role "as weak and ineffectual opponents for beginning players." As does Munchkin.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This had nothing to do with it. (I also didn't care that they were lizards, but that they were small and pathetic. I kept them reptilian because it fit better with the dragon.) GURPS Fantasy Folk had a kobold race in it that had nothing to do with how kobolds are depicted in historical fables. The Dungeon Fantasy line has templates for bards, druids and ninjas that have nothing to do with their historical antecedents. This is dungeon fantasy. This isn't GURPS Myths and Legends of Twelfth Century Germany. Even the Wikipedia article mentioned cites their near-universal role "as weak and ineffectual opponents for beginning players." As does Munchkin.
Okay, fair enough. I'd still like to see a DF version of the original kobolds over "another lizardman race", but that's personal preference. I'll probably write several up (based on the different types) sometime soon. It looks like a pretty fun dungeon, at any rate, and I'm going to look at it more thoroughly shortly.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #24
Cajetan

Not an adventure, but a setting full of ideas: Kelestia Productions has released two interactive PDF maps for FRPG use, with geology, vegetation, roads, settlements, etc. You can zoom in and really examine an area to use for your next adventure.
I find looking at terrain and other rich content really spurs my imagination.
I am not related to Kelestia Productions in any way, but I know quality stuff when I see it.
See the Harn interactive map, and the Shorkyne interactive map.
The two regions are near each other, separated by water, so you can have your campaign go from one to the other if you like, but there's so much content in each map that you could stay busy in one of them for a really long time.
Each maps sells for $25US. It is a big download, so be patient.
Cajetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #25
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I checked with Kuroshima about the maps.

He is still interested in helping but is very busy and does not know when he's going to be able to devote time to this.

If anyone else wants to help with maps, let me know!

Kuroshima has offered to provide the master files in GIMP format, so someone else can do the rest of the maps in the same style.
Q&D map source: Limit, it doesn't handle non-grid fitting maps well.

Get a hex grid with clean areas, that is a black line with white space in between.

Using MS-Paint mostly because it's likely on mostg of the machines you folks have, select light printing colors that won't obscure printing notes. Hit the paint bucket tool and fill the hex with your color. Repeat, using color to mark off 'dungeon' from non-dungeon. Alternate colors for special areas.

If you want, you can use the erase tool to clean up the non-dungeon areas areas. The map is workable if not highly detailed.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
Okay, fair enough. I'd still like to see a DF version of the original kobolds over "another lizardman race", but that's personal preference. I'll probably write several up (based on the different types) sometime soon. It looks like a pretty fun dungeon, at any rate, and I'm going to look at it more thoroughly shortly.
Aaron Alston game designer/Author has done a couple of books about a Magic/Pulp hero named Doc Sidhe. I liked the Kobolde race he used in his second book. (And it's astounding how liberating from the D&D mold the use of the silent e on the race name is.)

Hia Kobold are industrius little brown men, mostly miners.

The book gave them no 'inherently evil' aspects, but for DF and traditional kobold evilness' sake they are an enemy race of Dwarves, claim jumpers for the most part who wage genocidal attacks on dwarven mines.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures