Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Brf

Default Re: Cures! Cursed Thingy Card

The two-handed sword uses one hand to wield it, but it has two extra hands as it power -- giving it -1 hand as the net. I would think that if it were cursed, it would lose the two hands, and therefore take up the one hand slot.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
The two-handed sword uses one hand to wield it, but it has two extra hands as it power
I guess the question is, does that represent actual game mechanics, or is it just expanatory flavor text? If the former, then yeah, it should take a hand slot if cursed, if the latter, then there isn't really any rules-based reason to have it take up a hand slot if it is cursed.

The Two-Handed Sword may be the only instance where it matters. All the other "extra-hand" items that leap to my mind aren't "Hand" items to begin with. That's the only one I'm thinking of that logically could be seen as filling a hand slot, despite the negative number listed in the corner.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Clipper

It would be weird if the only card that had body text that still mattered once the curse hits is the Two-Handed Sword, and then only half of the sentence on that card still applies.

And yeah, there's no other cards in Fantasy that have this issue.

I just thought of another question too:
What happens if you are hit by Curse! Cursed Thingy and choose to curse the Three-Handed Sword you are wielding legally and then you lose your third hand? Does it become unused and you regain both your other Hand slots, or does it still use up your remaining hands? The same goes for the Horseshoe Crabs and ceasing to be a Centaur.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Brf

Well, a card's powers are usually listed in the body text. If the curse is nullifying powers, those would be found in the body text.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
Well, a card's powers are usually listed in the body text. If the curse is nullifying powers, those would be found in the body text.
The one Hand usage of Two-Handed Sword you mentioned earlier is also only found in the body text. To make a cursed Two-Handed Sword one-Handed would mean the half-sentence where that is stated is probably the only body text on any Item card that you don't ignore.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Pax

It seems to me to a little double-standardy that it counts the slot text if it is a bad thing (2 hand, armor, etc) but doesn't count it if it is a good thing (-1 hand).

I suppose the 'bonus or ability' (?unsure of exact wording) text could to taking to mean 'any benefit' but that that seems like it could be difficult to define (dwarf beard/elf ears when in combat with a monster that is +against them).
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
It seems to me to a little double-standardy that it counts the slot text if it is a bad thing (2 hand, armor, etc) but doesn't count it if it is a good thing (-1 hand).
It's a Curse. It's not supposed to be fair.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It's a Curse. It's not supposed to be fair.
I realize this, I wasn't questioning the fairness, I just mean from a consistency point of view.

The example of the two-handed sword was brought us and I think it's a good question. Does it take a hand-slot up? Does it become a non-slot? Is it 0-handed?

For the xmas hat with the hand: where it lists 'Headgear' and '-1 hand' for the slot text, is the ruling that it effects the the second line '-1 hand' but not the first 'Headgear'.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
kotya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
No, since the Curse takes away the special abilities of the Item...
- if I have Raincoat (that allows to wear other Armor with it) and it gets cursed, I cannot wear other Armor with it, can I? What if I'm already wearing other Armor - do I have to discard it or just turn sideways as it is not used, but still carried?
- if an Item gives me some penalty (e.g. -1 to Run Away) and it gets cursed, I have no penalty, haven't I?
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotya View Post
- if I have Raincoat (that allows to wear other Armor with it) and it gets cursed, I cannot wear other Armor with it, can I? What if I'm already wearing other Armor - do I have to discard it or just turn sideways as it is not used, but still carried?
My understanding is that if you decided to curse the Raincoat, then it's power to be worn over other things would disappear and you would need to remove your other Armor, yes (turning sideways, not discarding). Thus, you're much better off just choosing to curse the other Armor as you still get to use the Raincoat, then (worn over the cursed Armor), whereas you get neither if you choose to curse the Raincoat.
Quote:
- if an Item gives me some penalty (e.g. -1 to Run Away) and it gets cursed, I have no penalty, haven't I?
I'd say it would cancel out the penalty powers too, yes.