Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #21
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Virtual Table Top (VTT) support

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Please dispense with the accusation of snide comments.

Exactly who are you to define protocol?
I'm the person you insulted with your statement. And I expect an apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Storium is not a VTT "like" roll20 or FG.

It is something else. Something that is not being discussed here.
So what exactly is the difference?

I ask you again to state your definition.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #22
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm the person you insulted with your statement. And I expect an apology.
You'll be waiting for some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
... I ask you again to state your definition.
Evidently you are one who is used to being able to bully others on the internet.

But to move on ...

Storium is not a VTT "like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds".
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #23
hal

For those who are interested, as an ultimate license holder, I can demo FG2 for any who would like to request it. I’m currently using FG2 to run a GURPS Cyberpunk campaign set in NIGHT CITY and a toned down CP2020 based game universe set in 2047. I’ve had to spend a fair amount of time learning to create “modules” storing data on buildings, and using some of the features inherent with FG2. I’m still a bit weak using the combat tracker, but am learning new tricks with it over time.

Simply download a free demo version of FG2, install it, and email me with a request for a walkthrough of FG2.

Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #24
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Official Warning: There have been some nasty back-and-forth exchanges in this thread and two posters have received temp bans for it. This stops now. The next person to get sanctioned for a personal attack in this thread is looking at a minimum two-week ban.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #25
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
If it's been years since you've looked at FG, you should give it another shot. Our online group has been using it for seven years (at this point) and have never had any real issues, but the GURPS ruleset has been overhauled recently.You should give Ronnke a buzz and get him to demo it for you
Fair point, but as stated I don't really need anything new for my - admittedly tiny - online gaming needs. And I would only pay a subscription if I knew a large cut of that money went to SJGames and making GURPS more accessible. Thanks for all the kind offers of running demo games too. I hope someone who is more like the target audience will be able to profit from them.

@Ghostdancer: What I really like about MapTool is that you can quickly drag and drop random image files into it and make them a map background, token or image for your players to look at without jumping through any hoops like in Roll20. I assume that's what you mean by flexibility? There's also a huge makro language, of course, which I don't use much, but I guess it can mean flexibility for those who have enough time to delve more deeply into it.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 AM   #26
Bruno

An easier way to offer support is simply to provide VTT-ready maps from adventures as JPGs or PNGs, and tokens/minis for monsters. That's platform agnostic, future proof, and much more within SJGs existing skillset.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #27
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I've been really happy with Tabletop Simulator as a VTT. It's literally a virtual tabletop. The physics simulation isn't terribly important to us (yes, you can turn off the ability to flip the table) other than Hand of Bobb loves the visceral "feel" of being able to roll dice. The ability to load PNGs/JPGs as boards or cards (and scale them on the fly), the ability to load OBJs as new models (sure, the 50k triangle limit is a pain to work around, but I'm getting better at it) and a large array of plugins and options (through the Steam Store) has made it a great choice.

Someone, with a better scripting clue than I have, could probably build some GURPS automation, but, I haven't seen the need for it yet. I'd eagerly buy an official GURPS automation plugin/DLC, but, as I said, I haven't seen a direct need for it, yet.

Now, if we could just figure out why my rig doesn't work with Discord, we'd be golden . . ..
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #28
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I've been using Fantasy Grounds to run GURPS for about a month now, and aside from a few quality of life aspects that are in the works - drag and drop for abilities is what I'm waiting for primarily, and hex grids get... wonky on large maps - but otherwise it works quite well.

Currently running an AtE game there, and the fight against a killigator while swimming in the flooded generator room of a hydroelectric dam with only a flashlight for light was... amusing.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #29
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
An easier way to offer support is simply to provide VTT-ready maps from adventures as JPGs or PNGs, and tokens/minis for monsters. That's platform agnostic, future proof, and much more within SJGs existing skillset.
For what it’s worth, my latest 5e product does a lot of this. Includes a large map pack, and in a couple of days I will release a set of grid overlays for 5’ grids, 5’ hex, and 3’ hex. That’s a template for VTTs with auto-grid features, or the only grid for printouts or if you like grids.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #30
trooper6

Because Fanatics Grounds currently is only MAC compatible through WINE and by all accounts isn’t as great for Twitch streaming, I hope that GURPS will also get Roll20 support...but I fear their support will be FG only. Rumor has it that FG Unity will have Mac native support, but I have no idea when that will ever come out. And again, I hear Roll20 is better for streaming because it has a lower CPU load.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy grounds, roll20, virtual tabletop, vtt