Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Cooking

This is one of those rare occasions on which I can mention competitive cooking rules and have it be relevant to the conversation.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Could you use it as an adjunct to Poisons, disguising the taste?
Ordinarily, I would expect a skilled poisoner who doesn't generally cook to know what type of meal or spice can best hide the taste of a poison, if only so that he can choose an appropriate poison for the king's meal, or suggest an appropriate dish to the kitchen staff. I would not expect a chef to have any idea what kind of meal or spice would best hide a particular poison, except by coincidence (i.e. Poisons at default). So I would say that this is properly an application of Poisons, not Cooking.

In some situations - perhaps a farce, where the poisoner is inept, but in cahoots with the chef, who has to imagine how to best hide the flavor of something he dare not taste? - the GM might want to allow Cooking as a prerequisite or complimentary skill to using Poisons.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Cooking and contacts-

Rosa Lewis, the original for the BBC "Duchess of Duke Street," (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Lewis) allegedly had a large number of contacts with various VIPs of the era for her cooking abilities.

I'd say Cooking is less rare than ____ said; I would include making tasty, morale-restoring (at least in part) meals which don't poison the players or other troops is a useful talent.

IIRC it was "Warriors of the Rising Sun" that mentioned the importance of the Russian field kitchens in holding together the repeatedly-defeated troops in the Russo-Japanese war; also the value of similar kitchens in maintaining morale & cohesion on the Eastern Front in WW Two. See also the role of the kitchens & cooks in the Ottoman army from, say, the early 15th to the early 20th centuries.

I'd give field cookery a possible specialization. It's quite a different challenge to cook something palatable using indifferent ("Here's a rodent. Now cook it") ingredients over an open fire vs. in a well-equipped kitchen with stuff more or less healthy (depending on era & FDA activities).
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
Ordinarily, I would expect a skilled poisoner who doesn't generally cook to know what type of meal or spice can best hide the taste of a poison, if only so that he can choose an appropriate poison for the king's meal, or suggest an appropriate dish to the kitchen staff. I would not expect a chef to have any idea what kind of meal or spice would best hide a particular poison, except by coincidence (i.e. Poisons at default). So I would say that this is properly an application of Poisons, not Cooking.

In some situations - perhaps a farce, where the poisoner is inept, but in cahoots with the chef, who has to imagine how to best hide the flavor of something he dare not taste? - the GM might want to allow Cooking as a prerequisite or complimentary skill to using Poisons.
A cook would know how to hid a poison if they knew its flavor profile. Like hiding overly sweet, bitter, sour, etc. with ingredients likely to overwhelm.
Ethylene glycol in candy, cyanide in almond brittle, nightshade in bitter coffee...
Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A very important specialization would be Candy Making. It requires very careful temperature control, so before thermometers and precise burners took significant practice and training.

My grandmother had a candy shop for a few years. Hand crafted candy is beyond amazing. She made flavored marshmallows. (Homer Simpson drooling - ahhhhhhhrrgh.)
There is a case in Renaissance Italy about a guy who was head of a candy making family sueing the guild because he blamed them for the death of his wife and business partner I forget why. There was a carefully itemized list for damages ending incongruously with "and the loss of her beloved companionship such-and-such money". What the guy really meant of course was,"I'm darn mad and I'm gonna get you any way I can." But unfortunately that doesn't translate into legalese.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A cook would know how to hid a poison if they knew its flavor profile. Like hiding overly sweet, bitter, sour, etc. with ingredients likely to overwhelm.
Ethylene glycol in candy, cyanide in almond brittle, nightshade in bitter coffee...
Knowing the flavor profile of a poison without any training in poisons is one of those things that one would attempt to do with a default roll. If the GM feels that the poison is sufficiently popular that anyone might be familiar with it, he could offer a bonus to the roll or (in the interest of moving the plot or eliminating nuisance rolling) simply declare that the chef knows the answer.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
There is a case in Renaissance Italy about a guy who was head of a candy making family sueing the guild because he blamed them for the death of his wife and business partner I forget why. There was a carefully itemized list for damages ending incongruously with "and the loss of her beloved companionship such-and-such money". What the guy really meant of course was,"I'm darn mad and I'm gonna get you any way I can." But unfortunately that doesn't translate into legalese.
I believe the technical legal term for that last item used to be "loss of consortium." It was considered a perfectly legitimate standing to sue.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Rasputin

I once had players use Cooking in place of a reaction roll when trying to get past a guard. The guard, thinking they were help, asked the PCs to make him a sandwich, and one of the PCs had Cooking-13. Made the roll by 6 or 7. For the rest of the campaign, we'd periodically imitate Jules Winnfield: "Mmmm, that is a tasty sandwich!"

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I believe the technical legal term for that last item used to be "loss of consortium." It was considered a perfectly legitimate standing to sue.
No "used to be" about it; still is. These days, in America, it's often code for "And now we can't have sex five times a week any more since your negligence caused my husband to become a quadriplegic," but the broader meaning still applies.

As to the OP, one of the characters in my initial restart group in 2003 decided that she'd be an innkeeper running the family business after the untimely death of her mother, and her Cooking-15 just backed up the boast that the inn had the best stew in the Old City. So ... instant crash space for the party. That character is now a princess, and the most powerful wizard in the campaign's history, but she still keeps a small tavern on her estate, by the highroad, and tries to put in an evening of tending bar once a week ... if she's not out saving the world or governing the empire's capital city.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I wanted to build my pre-gen DF Innkeeper (who knew how to cook) with several instances of the Perk found on the Servant henchman lens so that he could make meals out of monsters. I could only afford one.

Successful roll = free rations equal to the monster's ST.

Tags
basic, cooking, skill of the week