Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
Minuteman37

Default Re: [AtE] Resorting Guns into More Technologically Orientated TLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
At that point, though, a detailed historical progression is irrelevant. What you can do to reconstruct tech, or what industrial base you need to sustain it, is not necessarily the same thing as the order in which it first appeared historically.

If the GM wants a settlement to be able to produce brass cartridges but not smokeless powder, he can just note that. There doesn't need to be a TL 5.77925 that means exactly that, so it's one item different from TL 5.77930.
My reasoning for this heavily ties into the TL price modifier. If a late TL5 time is significantly harder to craft then an early TL5 item why do they got the same price modifier? Especially when the difference is less significant between those items and similar ones on the other side of their neighboring TL lines.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
My reasoning for this heavily ties into the TL price modifier. If a late TL5 time is significantly harder to craft then an early TL5 item why do they got the same price modifier? Especially when the difference is less significant between those items and similar ones on the other side of their neighboring TL lines.
As the GM, you're allowed to modify those rules a bit, you know. They're not hard-and-fast.

I mean, if you want the multiple for a Winchester M1873 to be a bit higher than one for a Kentucky Rifle, .45 Flintlock, then decide out how much more rare the former is, and make the declaration.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
As the GM, you're allowed to modify those rules a bit, you know. They're not hard-and-fast.

I mean, if you want the multiple for a Winchester M1873 to be a bit higher than one for a Kentucky Rifle, .45 Flintlock, then decide out how much more rare the former is, and make the declaration.
Not the strongest examples. I could probably find you something that looked an awful lot like a Kentucky Rifle that was made before 1730. There actually isn't much in the way of TL5 tech that was introduced between 1730 and 1800. It maks a problem for even fractional TLs. Just m oving the start of tL5 to 1800 might work better.

Replace the Kentucky Rife with the 1853 Enfield .577 and you might have a better contrast. The Enfield was a perfected version of 30 year-old technology while the Winchester was the de-bugged version of a 10 year-old prototype (the Henry Rifle).
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post

And given that its hard for companies to set the right price for single products in a pre-existing economy, asking a game system to give the exact right price for any imaginable post-apocalyptic setting with no work on the GM's part is a bit much. Both prices in GURPS books in general, and the price multipliers in AtE 1 in particular, are hand waves for people who are in a hurry; people who care and are willing to put in some sweat equity can look up historical prices for a fantasy or historical game, or do some research and make up something that works for them in a future game.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not the strongest examples. I could probably find you something that looked an awful lot like a Kentucky Rifle that was made before 1730. There actually isn't much in the way of TL5 tech that was introduced between 1730 and 1800. It maks a problem for even fractional TLs. Just m oving the start of tL5 to 1800 might work better.

Replace the Kentucky Rife with the 1853 Enfield .577 and you might have a better contrast. The Enfield was a perfected version of 30 year-old technology while the Winchester was the de-bugged version of a 10 year-old prototype (the Henry Rifle).
Meh. I just picked those because both are, ostensibly, TL 5 (at least, that's how they're marked in G: High Tech), but they perform very differently.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end