Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Gigermann

Default [TG] Grabbing multiple locations at once

I was waiting for Technical Grappling to answer this question, but alas, I could not find the answer (I may have just overlooked it—it's early, yet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Let me try another example:
  • A grabs B's collars, one in each hand
  • B traps both A's hands against his torso with one hand/arm
  • B has his other hand free to attack
This is a common defense technique, and easily doable IRL, but the (current) GURPS rules are (to me, at least) uncertain.
The other similar example I have is encircling and trapping both of the opponent's arms under one of yours—two locations grappled in one move (that's the key, here).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [TG] Grabbing multiple locations at once

Quote:
I was waiting for Technical Grappling to answer this question, but alas, I could not find the answer (I may have just overlooked it—it's early, yet).The other similar example I have is encircling and trapping both of the opponent's arms under one of yours—two locations grappled in one move (that's the key, here).
Buy up an attack on both arms as a Combination that includes Pass Limb.

I agree that it seems like it should be easier than this - ask yourself if this is best modeled as an AoA (Determined) with Telegraphic (in training) or without it, after you buy it up a bit. Also consider the One Foe option, perhaps, to help mitigate the focus.

Anyway, yeah, some things are going to be harder to model. I thought about this and eventually went with "in GURPS, you never get something for nothing."

The other way one might do it is to maybe allow one attack that combines both hit locations - -2 for each arm for a total of -4. That would only work if the limbs were close enough together to get all at once, but it doesn't seem too far off.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Gigermann

Another good example just occurred to me, and I'll include it for completeness' sake: lariat or other flexible grapple-weapon attack against two limbs together—arms or legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The other way one might do it is to maybe allow one attack that combines both hit locations - -2 for each arm for a total of -4. That would only work if the limbs were close enough together to get all at once, but it doesn't seem too far off.
That was my first thought, and probably the easiest to work with—wasn't sure about "unintended consequences," though.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Another good example just occurred to me, and I'll include it for completeness' sake: lariat or other flexible grapple-weapon attack against two limbs together—arms or legs.
That actually came up in playtest, with a whip and I think Doug made the same suggestions above.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote