Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Luckduck945

Default Cures! Cursed Thingy Card

First I apologize to the forum if this has been posted before i have searched for a hour and i cant find it.

Moderator edit: Please do not quote card text. We have asked this because SJG is very interested in protecting its intellectual property. You are welcome to paraphrase, but not quote a card's text.

The Card: Curse! Cursed Thingy states that the cursed Item loses its powers.

My question is that if you put this on a item Say "The North Pole" which gives a plus 5 combat bonus then you no longer get that plus 5 from the item correct.

My roommate says that the curse doesn't effect the combat bonus because its not "its power". But i stated that the combat Bonus is the Items power. he said i was wrong

plz help solve this issue

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-29-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Luckduck945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Cures! Cursed Thingy Card

Yes, the bonus is one of its powers, so it loses that bonus. The curse wouldn't be much use if you could choose to put it on a weapon that provides a bonus and it had no effect on the Item. To use the card's own text, the bonus is not a 'special power', but it is a 'power'.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckduck945 View Post
My question is that if you put this on a item Say "The North Pole" which gives a plus 5 combat bonus then you no longer get that plus 5 from the item correct.

My roommate says that the curse doesn't effect the combat bonus because its not "its power". But i stated that the combat Bonus is the Items power. he said i was wrong

plz help solve this issue
It would certainly be a rather weak curse if it really only affected items with special powers or effects, especially since it can be played on Items that only give a bonus, as the card is worded. The bonus is a power or effect as much as anything else, so the bonus is affected by the Curse, whether the Item has only a bonus, or has a bonus and special power.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Pax

A few more questions about cursed thingie:

1) Does it effect non-combat bonuses of items: 'On-fire''s ability that makes your level count as a fire attack? The thumb-tacks(?) ability to wear a second pair of shoes, extra hands (many cards), etc.

2) For items that have a variable amount of slots does it block the slots that it was being used as (thinking the 1/2 handed sword from Conan expansion) when the curse was applied?

3) Are Munchkin t-shirts (or for that matter, shot glasses, USB drives, etc) items? Can you play cursed thingie on them? Or any other cards (except cheat for the shirts).
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post

1) Does it effect non-combat bonuses of items: 'On-fire''s ability that makes your level count as a fire attack? The thumb-tacks(?) ability to wear a second pair of shoes, extra hands (many cards), etc.

2) For items that have a variable amount of slots does it block the slots that it was being used as (thinking the 1/2 handed sword from Conan expansion) when the curse was applied?

3) Are Munchkin t-shirts (or for that matter, shot glasses, USB drives, etc) items? Can you play cursed thingie on them? Or any other cards (except cheat for the shirts).
1) Interesting question. It would seem to stop Items that would say "This weapon counts as a fire/flame attack" in the text, so I guess it should also extinguish items that count simply because of their name (e.g., Flaming Armor). I might be wrong on that, though.

As for the others, it doesn't change the type of Item it is (Headgear, Footgear, etc.), so there is an argument that the cards marked with '-1 Hand' in the card type slot might still give you the bonus hand. Items that only mention the extra hands would not. Again my interpretation could be wrong, though.

The way I consider the item to be cursed is to ignore all text on the card except the text in the bottom left and bottom right corners.

2) Yes, it would continue to block the same amount of slots that it used when it got cursed.

3) No. Items are defined in the rules as cards with a Value written in the bottom right corner, even if the value is 'No Value'. You could only choose to curse a promotional item if it has rules that say to treat it as an Item. And note that you play curses on a player, then he or she chooses which item becomes cursed. You don't play it on the Item itself.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-29-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post

It takes away all of the Item's powers, just like it says on the card. The Item is a useless lump luck stuck where you put it.

Quote:
The cursed Item stays where you put it. If it was in a slot, it remains in that slot. If you were using something that had options, it, unfortunately, remains taking up whatever option you were last using. That's more bookkeeping than usual, but it makes the most sense.

Quote:
Only on Items. If a promotional Item or other card defines itself as an Item, then you can use the Curse on it. Otherwise, no. It also bears noting that the victim of Curse! Cursed Thingy chooses the Item to be cursed, since you chose to use the wording "played on."
MiB #1029
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Clipper

Does that mean that the cards that were taking -1 Hand slot remain taking -1 Hands, meaning they retain their extra Hand ability?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Does that mean that the cards that were taking -1 Hand slot remain taking -1 Hands, meaning they retain their extra Hand ability?
No, since the Curse takes away the special abilities of the Item...
MiB #1029
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
No, since the Curse takes away the special abilities of the Item...
How many Hand slots does it take, then? If the number of Hands listed on the card is -1, but the Curse takes that away because it is considered a special ability, how many hand slots does it take now? Zero? I can't really see a justification for making it take 1, since stats on the card don't indicate that it does.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
How many Hand slots does it take, then? If the number of Hands listed on the card is -1, but the Curse takes that away because it is considered a special ability, how many hand slots does it take now? Zero? I can't really see a justification for making it take 1, since stats on the card don't indicate that it does.
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make, thanks. There are two conditions here, that it loses all its powers and that it also keeps the same slots in use. MunchkinMan just assured us that the losing powers rule is the trump, though. I can also see 0 Hands as the only valid alternative for any card that has negative usage stats at the bottom left.

Taking this into account, the easy way to apply the curse is to ignore everything on the card (i.e., the bonus, title and text) except for positive amounts written on the bottom-left of the card and the card value and type (i.e., Steed etc.) written at the bottom-right. Thus, the Arm-y Helmet, which has (Headgear, -1 Hand) would become just a useless piece of Headgear and the Two-Handed Sword wouldn't take any slots even though it says it takes one hand to wield (as it is only mentioned in card text, wielding it that way is a power too, I guess).