Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #41
thalcos

Default Re: Blog - One Shot Adventures - New Posts

This month on my free adventures blog, old west horror makes a comeback in St. Cecilia's Blasphemous Bordello!

A small New Mexico town’s famous bordello was suddenly shut down and purchased by a group of nuns – who promptly reopened the site as an orphanage. A few weeks later, the old bordello has become the site of two ghastly decapitations. Not having time to get involved, the sheriff asks the PCs to help investigate. Soon, they discover the existence of a horrible, supernatural entity created through the town’s anger and shame…

Since there's been more interest in GURPS-related YouTube content, you can watch a fun video overview of the adventure here.

The free adventure includes pregenerated 150-point characters, cool handouts, maps, and VTT tokens and assets to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy -- and please let me know if you have any feedback!

There are now 20+ free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures, many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres:
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #42
AOTA

Thanks for the new adventure and for the VTT stuff.

I was able to run three of your adventures at a con this past summer I was planning to run some more but they cancelled the fall/winter con. I ran GURPS Cliffhangers - The Lost Jewels of Eire, GURPS Horror - The Festering Locusts of Fenmore, and GURPS Harry Potter - The Warlock's Tunnel. They all went over very well. Especially the Harry Potter one lots of HP fans playing GURPS for the first time. I was even requested to run it again. So thanks again.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #43
thalcos

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! It’s been a while since I’ve run that Potter adventure at a real convention but everytime I do I always get new GURPS players who say the game really felt like the Potterverse. Though some of those young and rabid fans can really throw some crazy ideas at GMs too :-)
Old 12-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #44
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalcos View Post
Though some of those young and rabid fans can really throw some crazy ideas at GMs too :-)
Yes they can. I was surprised how easily that the GURPS Magic system works for HP. Just change an few names and bingo HP magic.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #45
Dalin

I'm thinking of running the HP adventure with my kids and their cousins this week. They just read the books and watched the movies.

Do you have any posts on your blog about your design process? Your material looks so good. I'm curious what software you use and if there are techniques that non-professionals could master.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #46
thalcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I'm thinking of running the HP adventure with my kids and their cousins this week. They just read the books and watched the movies.

Do you have any posts on your blog about your design process? Your material looks so good. I'm curious what software you use and if there are techniques that non-professionals could master.
I've been meaning to do more of those "how to" blogs, but I don't have a lot in that department yet.

I do have a blog for how to create cool character portraits if you're not artistic at all. Since I wrote that, I've been using more procedural tools like ArtBreeder.com to generate art. It's amazing what you can create with a few clicks now.

For cool handouts, I rely a lot on creativemarket.com to buy some raw assets really cheaply (like old paper, logos, etc). Then I use Photoshop to throw them together. Honestly, an old paper texture and the right font from dafont.com can make for a terrific handout with very little work and not a lot of software.

For layout I use Adobe InDesign, which is a professional tool. Layout software saves so much time vs. tools like Word. I tend to use the same template again and again so I don't have to do a lot of new design each time. InDesign makes it easy to just add text without rearranging everything every time. I've heard good things about the open source and free Scribus, which is similar, but haven't played with it myself.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #47
Dalin

Very helpful! Thank you.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #48
Dalin

I mentioned the Hogwarts adventure to my kids today and they went bananas. They made me print the pre-generated characters so that they could look through them. This led to about 45 minutes of excited conversations about spells, wands, broomsticks, and enemies. They could not have been more excited.

I still don't know if we'll be able to squeeze a game in this week, due to so many holiday obligations, but they will tie me down and force the issue pretty soon. Glorious!
Old 12-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #49
thalcos

By the way, if you folks are curious what the most popular adventures and genres were on my site, check out my top 5 list from 2021:

(Popular = most downloaded in this case)

And also, a YouTube video of the top 5 historical horror adventures from my site. I'm sad ancient Rome didn't make the list, but, hey, the 17th century haunted house adventures did!
Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #50
thalcos

This month on my free adventures blog, there's a brand new 1930s thrilling pulp adventure - The Phantom Jungle!

After being betrayed and stranded in the jungles of Peru, our heroes are desperate to return back to civilization. However, standing in their way is not only the wilds of the jungle, but also desperate revolutionaries, a ruthless jetpacking mercenary, an old Confederate ironclad, and a shocking secret sealed inside a forgotten temple.

For people who like video overviews, you can watch a summary of the adventure on my YouTube channel here.

The free adventure includes pregenerated 150-point characters, cool handouts, audio, maps, and VTT tokens and assets to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now 20+ free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures, many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres:

Tags
adventures, blog, blogs