Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
jmsilverwolf

Default GURPS Rifts?

Anyone out there know of fan material created to run the Rifts RPG setting using GURPS?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: GURPS Rifts?

There have been a number of threads here in the past attempting to address this topic. The problem is that Palladium games are quite anal about anyone attempting to use/share their material for such attempts, even if there is no thought of profit from the exercise.

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 11-16-2006 at 02:22 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Paul

Palladium Books' online policy strictly and expressly forbids the conversion of any of its properties to any other game system.

Steve Jackson Games ask that our forum posters respect their policy.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
They also expressly forbid the conversion of other properties to their game system. Just throwing it out there.
What about Robotech and TMNT?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
chewie

Quote:
They also expressly forbid the conversion of other properties to their game system. Just throwing it out there.
Which is a very good reason to stay away from them. That may be harsh to say, given the financial problems they're recently going through. Regardless, not allowing fans to be creative with a product that is supposed to encourage creativity seems back***wards.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Oggsmash

My advice would be to get a copy of Powers and bio tech and go to town. You could come up with a template for most any class in Rifts. Also the high tech weapons will make more sense as GURPS scales alot better with regard to using Damage Resistance, Armor penetration, and the scaling of damge for really heavy weapons (ie tank cannons).

Be warned though some converts are going to be pretty high point totals, low end supers for some in the main book and higher for many of the world books. Converted a juicer but never used it, except in a die rolling playtest, and it was a monster in Gurps rules.
Oggsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Almafeta

Quote:
Well, that's confusing; one page tells them that the law requires them to sue anyone who posts a conversion, while another page (the mother page to the first page I've mentioned) says that they are not responsible for the actions of others.

Then again, for a long time, they have (at least since 1998, going on 10 years) "allowed" Palladium conversions of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (both versions), Star Trek, Star Wars, Final Fantasy, Starcraft and Dragonball Z, among others. (By "allowed," I'm using their definition, which is "did not take down" -- one of their policy pages seems to indicate that they believe that if they do not, they are legally culpable.)

But now we're straying into General Roleplaying territory.

Last edited by Almafeta; 11-16-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
panton41

I understand about copyrights fairly well (on another board I'm a writing assessor for a site that has a very ridged and explicit policy against fan art/fic in any form, without written consent) but wouldn't Palladium be denying the allowance of "fair use" according to U.S. copyright law? (Which is something I've always figured was somewhat tenuous for role-playing games anyway considering they're explicitly intended to allow derivative works a.k.a storytelling games.)

Not to mention treating their customers as advisories, poorly produced material and apparent overall mismanagement has probably eroded their fan base.

I feel they have a great world created in Rifts, but they're mismanaging the intellectual properties otherwise.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almafeta

Then again, for a long time, they have (at least since 1998, going on 10 years) "allowed" Palladium conversions of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (both versions), Star Trek, Star Wars, Final Fantasy, Starcraft and Dragonball Z, among others.
And the converter there assigned 300 MDC to a TIE Fighter's main hull. Wacky.

I'll second Sydney's recommendation not to try a straight element-to-element conversion, but rather to convert the feel. Powers should be useful for this.
sanguine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
nanoboy

The best advice for converting Rifts into anything is to not buy any Palladium products so that they finally go out of business, and people won't be bothered by their absurd (and legally questionable) IP policy. Someone less paranoid could hopefully buy them.

I'm bitter about it, I suppose, but I'm not buying anymore Palladium materials (I sold the stuff I had) until they change their policy or die. I'm sure there are other role-playing fans like me who feel that their settings are pretty good, but their settings, policies, and personality are lousy.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote