Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
mr beer

Default Re: Titan as an Upscaled Human

Google suggests that humans have the urge to urinate at around 200ml, so 0.2 of a litre x 373,248,000 = 74,649,600 litres or 74,649 cubic metres. More googling suggests an average flow rate of 21ml/second for our human 200ml, so I guess our titan voids this volume in about 10 seconds, at 7,465 cubic metres per second.

Sounds like a lot of liquid but you need 2.5 million litres to fill an Olympic swimming pool. That's 33.4x as much, so our titan takes about 5 days to get that done.

My guess is that the flow rate might cause more impressive effects than filling an oversize swimming pool every week or so.

EDIT

That giantess calculator is remarkably specific in some areas.

Last edited by mr beer; 05-25-2018 at 02:27 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

I remember a study that showed that mammals from house cat to elephant size take 23 seconds +/- 13 seconds to fully urinate. Bigger animals don't necessarily take longer. Obviously that's for real world animals.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
[...]The action of standing is going to be an earthquake. Intensity and distance depends on the titan’s movements speed. I don’t have the required knowledge to make a detailed prediction.
I'm using the following assumptions:
1) Base human weight is 150 lbs
2) The linear scale factor is 600
3) The titan's basic move is directly scaled (instead of some combination of basic move and enhanced move)
4) The titan can accelerate enough to move it's full move over 1 second from a stationary start (ignoring the need for deceleration, which would limit acceleration time to 1/2 second).
5) There are 10 footfalls in a full move for our bipedal titan (based on a step being 1/10th move).

The titan's standard mass is 14696393 tonnes (Megagrams). It has a basic move of 3000. For simplicity, I'm pretending those are in meters.

Since distance = 1/2 * acceleration * time^2 (when starting with 0 velocity), to move 3000 m in 1 sec requires an acceleration of 6000 m/s^2. Force is mass * acceleration, so 14696393 Mg * 6000 m/s^2 = 88178358 Meganewtons. Energy is force * distance, so the energy required for the horizontal motion is 264535074 Gigajoules.

If the full move is broken into 10 steps/footfalls, each step applies 26453507 Gigajoules of energy to the ground, which is equivalent to the energy released by over 6 Megatonnes of TNT. The ground would "feel" this energy spread out over the area of contact, and the force vector is horizontal pointing behind the titan(when the titan moves forward). Much like a person running on loose dirt kicks up a cloud behind them, the titan would do the same, but instead of dust particles, it might be boulders (I know nothing of the physics of ground destruction, and I'm not motivated enough to learn and work through it).

Note that this energy only includes horizontal motion. Things like the impact of each foot against the ground while running are not included.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

It sounds like there would not be much left of the world after the Titan walks around for a few years. Of course, the Titan's voice would be 160 decibels,
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
Anthony

Something that moves like a human will have a walking velocity multiplied by the square root of scale, and a step frequency divided by the square root of scale.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #16
Blood Legend

All of this is pure gold.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Ottriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
EDIT

That giantess calculator is remarkably specific in some areas.
Yeah I know, it is a side effect of it being made by a fetish community.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
Ji ji

Another interesting data is the pressure exerted on the ground during a step. Considering a smaller sample area of ~1 sq cm in the ball of the foot, top aveage pressure ~4 atm.
For our titan this means 3000 atm on a 50 sq m, three times the pressure on Mariana Trench floor.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
All of this is pure gold.
Speaking of gold, his wedding ring would be somewhere on the order of 4000 tons and have a current metal value of (assuming 14 carat gold) around $9 billion dollars.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Speaking of gold, his wedding ring would be somewhere on the order of 4000 tons and have a current metal value of (assuming 14 carat gold) around $9 billion dollars.
I been struggling what kind of loot he'd drop. That'll be literally the only thing he has on him. What would the value be for absolutely pure gold? Or whatever the max is and still have jewelry quality? Im assuming the same mythical nonsense that keeps the giant from exploding into a 3 mile high fountain of gore, so Im not too worried about the structural integrity of 4000 tons of gold.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote