Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Things in RPGs that make your brain hurt

In Chivalry & Sorcery 1e (and 2e also) there was an Alchemy section with alchemical processes that produced products and byproducts. It was actually the byproducts that were most interesting to general mages.

The byproducts of the operations involving precious gems were magical diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires each of 200 carats.

Way back in 1979 when I first saw it I thought "Isn't that rather large?" and I struggled wit some density calculations and converting carats to cubic centimeters.

I wouldn't have to do that today.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/world/...wless-diamond/

Behold a _100_ carat diamond. Back in the day my mathematical struggles had ended up somewhere between "golfball" and "doorknob". I appear to have been pretty close.

However, if you wish to take in the full silliness you have to look at the rules for magic rings that used all _four_ of the Alchemist's stones.
A buckler shield maybe but not a ring.

Anyone else have some similar ecounters etwee rules ad reality?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Things in RPGs that make your brain hurt

This applies to lots of games, tabletop and electronic, but having high hit points and being able to soak lots of damage always really bugged me. Its just not how the world works! Getting injured isn't something you just shrug off like that. I know it makes the games so much more playable, but it still irks me...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This applies to lots of games, tabletop and electronic, but having high hit points and being able to soak lots of damage always really bugged me. Its just not how the world works! Getting injured isn't something you just shrug off like that. I know it makes the games so much more playable, but it still irks me...
Meh it only weird when your character could be stark naked and yet be more sturdy then a tank.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

The idea that a Paladin can't multiclass with Bard or Ranger.

The fact that a Paladin and a Cleric are two different laterally-related archetypes.

The idea that alignments other than Lawful Good should have some sort of champion paladin-equivalent shoehorned in.

In GURPS, that a scythe costs $15 when a small knife costs $30. That a baton costs $20, a boomerang costs an identical $20 but does things a baton can't without a downside, and an appropriately-made stick weapon for other melee skills would be $5.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Vargant

I always found the idea of alignments to be very odd.
What does Lawful Good stand for? Which laws does this person obey? If a kingdom has cruel rules, does he follow them? How does this even work with different law-systems for different places?

Alignments are just so black-and-white that I canīt get my head around them.
People behave in a way, that seems logical and/or useful to them. What is logical and useful is completely subjective.

Also Hitpoints sometimes bother me, but that depends on how the system interprets them. Things like fighting to your death with no penalty at all, are just strange...
Vargant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I was thinking exactly this. Manually-adjudicated games (i.e. not computer or video games) that use "Hit Points" to represent defensive competency make my head hurt with all of the logical implications. Then I realize I'm trying to apply logic to something that completely defies logic, and my brain hurts more. Then I give up and leave.

Which should make the Pathfinder game I recently joined very interesting, as I'm trying to get over that brain-block and just take an approach of "roll with whatever's working right now."
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Anders

In Swedish RPGs, bronze is typically depicted as cheaper than iron.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
The idea that a Paladin can't multiclass with Bard or Ranger.
Yeah. IIRC (D&D 3.x) it was thematic w.r.t. the Paladin, rather than a mechanical balance issue. No, I didn't like it either.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargant View Post
They originated in Moorcock's Eternal Champion stories, where Law and Chaos are fundamental forces. The Good-Evil axis was added at AD&D.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
In Swedish RPGs, bronze is typically depicted as cheaper than iron.
That sort of thing happens a lot ... better and more expensive are usually directly correlated unless something very unusual has happened.

Quote:
I always found the idea of alignments to be very odd.
What does Lawful Good stand for? Which laws does this person obey? If a kingdom has cruel rules, does he follow them? How does this even work with different law-systems for different places?

People behave in a way, that seems logical and/or useful to them. What is logical and useful is completely subjective.
Alignments have always seemed odd to me as well - probably okay as a thumbnail sketch of personality (lawful good being sort of "collectivist/altruist" against chaotic evil's "individualist/selfish"), but as things that can be detected and effected by magic - let alone having their own languages like early versions of D&D - are insane.

Quote:
Also Hitpoints sometimes bother me, but that depends on how the system interprets them. Things like fighting to your death with no penalty at all, are just strange...
Also +1 on this ... the sort of "critical existence failure" at 0 HP just seems incongruent to me as well.

Some of these are design artefacts from D&D's wargaming roots which have been tracked into other systems. Although most other systems make some attempt to simulate wound penalties.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote